Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for info on Henry Vernon Stroud

Henry Vernon Stroud, Born 18th February 1914, started in the RAMC I think until he went to Mons Officer Training Centre, Aldershot during or just before WW2. Then during the war he was in the Tank regiment, and then the RAOC afterwards.

His medals are, 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, Victory, War, General Service with Malaya clasp

I have 2 service numbers for him:-

176720 this is on a military pass, his rank was then Captain, I am assuming he was in the RAOC as its dated 1953.

I have some photos, but can't seem to post them?

Thanks in advance
    Ian

The MOD has not yet released WW2 records, but relatives can buy a copy. See HERE.

It will cost you 30 pounds, a copy of his death certificate, and (usually) a couple of months...

Hi Ian
    to post photos now on Brit-Gen you have to first upload them to a free site with a URL such as TinyPic.
    There are others as given here - all free.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Ian
    to post photos now on Brit-Gen you have to first upload them to a free site with a URL such as TinyPic.
    There are others as given here - all free.
    Christina
    Hi Christanel,
    Thanks for the info on posting photos, I am new to all this, even computers and it sounds abit beyond me, but will give it ago tomorrow! you will know if I can do it as there will be photos here!!
    Thanks again for all your help, you people are WONDERFUL, helping a complete stranger!
    Ian

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Without trying to confuse things, this is the main part of a post (#11) made in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...626#post678626
    and gives a little more info about Henry.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11429976 View Post
    Would you be able to help out with Henry Vernon Stroud, Born 18th February 1914, started in the RAMC I think until he went to Mons Officer Training Centre, Aldershot during or just before WW2. Then during the war he was in the Tank regiment, and then the RAOC afterwards.
    His medals are, 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, Victory, War, General Service with Malaya clasp
    I have 2 service numbers for him:-
    176720 this is on a military pass, his rank was then Captain, I am assuming he was in the RAOC as its dated 1953.
    Somewhen towards the end of the war he was in a staff car going to Germany, and one of his Tank drivers fell asleep and ran the car over everyone inside apart from Henry was killed, Henry was very badly injured, and the story goes thats why the Russians got to Germany first!! Evelyn Thomas married Henry in 1946, their back gardens backed on to each other, so Henry really did marry the girl next door!?
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Henry V Stroud birth registration March Quarter 1914 Uxbridge Vol 3A Page 1115 Mother’s maiden Name “Chambers”

Henry V Stroud marriage registration Evelyn R Bartlett March Quarter 1946 Brentford Vol 3A Page 670

Henry Vernon Stroud death registration March Quarter 1995 Haringey Register No. B53A Entry No 034 Date of Registration mm/77: 0395

With regard to Henry’s parent’s there are surprisingly two marriages in the early 1900s between a Mr Stroud and Miss Chambers. The first took place in 1903 in Kings Norton (Birmingham) between Thomas Francis and Mary May and the second took place in 1909 in Hackney between Henry George and Ada. Based on location it is more likely that the second set were his parents, but again you could only confirm with his birth certificate.

The two marriage registration details are:
    1903 April quarter, Kings Norton Vol 6C Page 800 : Thomas Francis Stroud and Mary May Chambers
    1909 Dec quarter Hackney Vol 1B page 764 : Henry George Stroud Ada Chambers
    Again they both appear as either / or on the marriage registration index, but I both set on the 1911 Census. The second set are just listed as Henry and Ada and were living in Ealing, and he was a piano player fitter.

As you may have realised Evelyn had been married previously before she married Henry. The details of that marriage registration are as follows:
    June quarter 1942 Kensington to Robert J Bartlett Vol 1A Page 192

I don’t know what happened to Robert Bartlett, but the marriage certificate between Henry and Evelyn would give you some clues in terms of how she was described. Was she described as a widow, or the divorced wife of RB etc.

Following on from Megan's excellent reply, all birth marriage and death certificates should be ordered either directly from the GRO
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    or the local Registrar's Office, https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/ci...ice/RegOffice2
    and not via a third party who will probably charge you at least twice as much just for ordering from the same place.

Pam

Thanks for this Megan its Great, any ideas on his army service?

Quote Originally Posted by 11429976 View Post
    Thanks for this Megan its Great, any ideas on his army service?
    Please read Lesley's reply in post #2. It provides a link for applying to the MoD who still hold the service records of anyone who served after 1921.

Pam

Hiya
    Henry veron stroud is my grandad.. Evelyn Stroud is my grandma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast