Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for info on William Richmond Thomas

William Richmond Thomas, in the RAMC during WW1 his service number was 16107. He later transferred to the Royal Engineers then he received a new number 276576 and WR/126001, not sure what this number is?

He was not entitled to a Star medal which means that he didn't serve abroad until 1916 or later.

We think he was born in London not sure when, but he died in 1956 age 75, so was born around 1880 or 1881, he was married his daughter, Evelyn Thomas was born in 1918, we think maybe he was married before the WW1.

I have some pictures but cant seem to post them?

Thanks in advance
    Ian

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can’t help you with the military bits but:

With a middle name like “Richmond” it helps when trying to research his family. There were two birth registrations for a William Richmond Thomas. One in Birmingham in 1880 and one in Kensington in 1881. Sadly the child in Birmingham died the following year.

The mother’s maiden name on the birth record in Kensington is West.

The child from Kensington pops up in the 1911 Census in Derbyshire, where he is an unmarried waiter at the Hydro Cottage, Smedly Street, Matlock.

I think that I have found him in the 1939 Register: 407 Whitton Avenue, Ealing M.B., Middlesex. This says that he was born 2 Jul 1881, and that he was “lineman cable signal dept Lptb”. His wife, Louisa who was born 18 July 1891, must have remarried after his death to someone named Wells. His daughter Evelyn R, born 5 Jan 1918 also seems to have been married twice: Messrs Stroud and Bartlett.

Using that information I found from Evelyn’s birth registration in Hammersmith that her mother’s maiden name was Thomas, and then using that I was able to find that William and Louisa married in Fulham in 1914.

What I haven’t been able to do yet is find William between his birth and 1911. But that’s because there are too many William Thomas – so far!

Default William Richmond Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I can’t help you with the military bits but:

With a middle name like “Richmond” it helps when trying to research his family. There were two birth registrations for a William Richmond Thomas. One in Birmingham in 1880 and one in Kensington in 1881. Sadly the child in Birmingham died the following year.

The mother’s maiden name on the birth record in Kensington is West.

The child from Kensington pops up in the 1911 Census in Derbyshire, where he is an unmarried waiter at the Hydro Cottage, Smedly Street, Matlock.

I think that I have found him in the 1939 Register: 407 Whitton Avenue, Ealing M.B., Middlesex. This says that he was born 2 Jul 1881, and that he was “lineman cable signal dept Lptb”. His wife, Louisa who was born 18 July 1891, must have remarried after his death to someone named Wells. His daughter Evelyn R, born 5 Jan 1918 also seems to have been married twice: Messrs Stroud and Bartlett.

Using that information I found from Evelyn’s birth registration in Hammersmith that her mother’s maiden name was Thomas, and then using that I was able to find that William and Louisa married in Fulham in 1914.

What I haven’t been able to do yet is find William between his birth and 1911. But that’s because there are too many William Thomas – so far!

THATS HIM!!!!
    Thaks so much I wouldn't know where to start or do what you have done! Abit cheeky but can you put the documents up or a link so I can show the family? Thanks again

I’m glad I got the right chap.

I’m guessing that you are a newbie at the family history research? In reality there are two documents, the 1939 Register and the 1911 Census, and unfortunately the terms of reference of those sites prohibit me from sharing them.

In normal times I would say go along to your local library because they probably have free access to the two principal pay per view genealogy sites: Ancestry and Findmypast. However, you can pay on line for either one of them for limited views or for a time limited membership. Both are similar but slightly different. I happen to use both. So I can’t advise you on that.

There are some free sites that you can use for some of this:

Freebmd.org.uk – is a site that allows to search the births, deaths and marriage registration indexes. It is very important to understand that indexes are not certificates, and that the only place to get certificates from is the General Register Office at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ There you can also search the birth and death indexes.

Freecen.org.uk – is a site that aims to provide free searches of the 19th century censuses.

However, as I have identified the correct person I will give you the references that you would need to order certificates etc:

William Richmond Thomas: birth: GRO Reference: 1881 Dec Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 169
    Evelyn R Thomas: birth : GRO Reference: 1918 Mar Quarter in HAMMERSMITH Volume 01A Page 214
    William and Louisa’s marriage : GRO Reference: 1914 Mar Quarter in FULHAM Volume 01A Page 513

You might recall from my first post that I said that the maiden name on William’s birth registration was West. Well, this is NOT conclusive, but there was a marriage in Kensington in the Sept quarter of 1880 between Alfred Edward Thomas and either Sarah Jane Tucker or Sarah West. The way that the marriage indexes are ordered is that there is nearly always an either or.

Up to and including WW1 service people were assigned a new service number when they were assigned to another regiment.

British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Royal Engineers, Piece 0560: Royal Engineers (Railways)

Sapper William Thomas WR126001
    formerly of the RASC 16107 and The Royal Engineers 276576
    So it may be that the WR before the service number refers to the Western Railway? Just a guess and others may be along to confirm or give another explanation.

Here, at The Long Long Trail site is a list of letter prefixes but WR is not there and they admit it is not a complete list but does explain about the change of service numbers,
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

WR stands for Waterways and Railways

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Up to and including WW1 service people were assigined a new service number when they were assigned to another regiment.

British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Royal Engineers, Piece 0560: Royal Engineers (Railways)

Sapper William Thomas WR126001
    formerly of the RASC 16107 and The Royal Engineers 276576
    So it may be that the WR before the service number refers to the Western Railway? Just a guess and others may be along to confirm or give another explanation.

Here, at The Long Long Trail site is a list of letter prefixes but WR is not there and they admit it is not a complete list but does explain about the change of service numbers,
    Christina
    Wow this is great, thanks, can't wait to tell the family, does it say if he went to France?
    Thanks so much!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    WR stands for Waterways and Railways
    Thanks alot
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I’m glad I got the right chap.

I’m guessing that you are a newbie at the family history research? In reality there are two documents, the 1939 Register and the 1911 Census, and unfortunately the terms of reference of those sites prohibit me from sharing them.

In normal times I would say go along to your local library because they probably have free access to the two principal pay per view genealogy sites: Ancestry and Findmypast. However, you can pay on line for either one of them for limited views or for a time limited membership. Both are similar but slightly different. I happen to use both. So I can’t advise you on that.

There are some free sites that you can use for some of this:

Freebmd.org.uk – is a site that allows to search the births, deaths and marriage registration indexes. It is very important to understand that indexes are not certificates, and that the only place to get certificates from is the General Register Office at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ There you can also search the birth and death indexes.

Freecen.org.uk – is a site that aims to provide free searches of the 19th century censuses.

However, as I have identified the correct person I will give you the references that you would need to order certificates etc:

William Richmond Thomas: birth: GRO Reference: 1881 Dec Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 169
    Evelyn R Thomas: birth : GRO Reference: 1918 Mar Quarter in HAMMERSMITH Volume 01A Page 214
    William and Louisa’s marriage : GRO Reference: 1914 Mar Quarter in FULHAM Volume 01A Page 513

You might recall from my first post that I said that the maiden name on William’s birth registration was West. Well, this is NOT conclusive, but there was a marriage in Kensington in the Sept quarter of 1880 between Alfred Edward Thomas and either Sarah Jane Tucker or Sarah West. The way that the marriage indexes are ordered is that there is nearly always an either or.
    Thanks again with this, yea you could say i'm new to this, actually i'm new to computers, put learning everyday, I used to have a friend who would say "Everyday's a school day!"

Quote Originally Posted by 11429976 View Post
    Thanks again with this, yea you could say i'm new to this, actually i'm new to computers, put learning everyday, I used to have a friend who would say "Everyday's a school day!"
    Well in this new world / reality that we are all embarking upon its a fine time to learn new things- and genealogy can become really addictive- a bit like being a detective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast