Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ourshay

Default joseph and hanora mcdonald

Hi, my GGG grandparents were Joseph and Hanora McDonald (nee Barrett)from Mayo Ireland. I have their year of birth 1836 and 1841. Their marriage 12/7/1858 and I can trace them throughout the census living in Liverpool right up to 1901. However I cannot find them after this. Cannot find their deaths. How can they have disappeared. They were Catholic. Any ideas please?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you got the census reference numbers for the various censuses? I can't easily find them in Liverpool in 1901, nor 1891 or 1881.
    If you don't have reference numbers, can you tell us the precise spellings of their names in those censuses, and their given ages.

Other options to consider - did any of their children emigrate and take mum and dad with them? Have you looked only in Liverpool for their deaths, or have you looked in Ireland, and in places where any of their children lived in 1911?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

To add to Pam’s list, don’t forget that if they died in hospital, they will be registered in the district of the hospital, not their home.

Super Moderator

There is a Catholic Baptism in St Patrick's, Liverpool for a Petrius (?) McDonald child of Joseph and Honora McDonald. Looks liek the witnesses were Barbara Barrett and P (?) Dene - 7th January 1867

24 April 1859 - Rosanna McDonell
    9 December 1860 - Jacobus McDonnell
    22 Feb 1863 - Brigida McDonnell

All under the mother Honor(ae) Barrett, Spouse: Josephi McDonnell

I think these census references are the ones, however, Honor's name changes in each census.

1871, Joseph and Honor, RG10; Piece: 3798; Folio: 111; Page: 10;

1861, Joseph and Ann, RG 9; Piece: 2702; Folio: 115; Page: 40;

1891, Joseph and Hannah, RG12; Piece: 2926; Folio: 17; Page: 27
    Alma

ourshay

Default Joseph and Hanora McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Have you got the census reference numbers for the various censuses? I can't easily find them in Liverpool in 1901, nor 1891 or 1881.
    If you don't have reference numbers, can you tell us the precise spellings of their names in those censuses, and their given ages.

Other options to consider - did any of their children emigrate and take mum and dad with them? Have you looked only in Liverpool for their deaths, or have you looked in Ireland, and in places where any of their children lived in 1911?

Pam
    Hi Pam, thank you so much for your interest. A couple of census have them with different names etc but I feel sure it is my family because I have personal information about them, so recognise all the family names. I know that there are so many with the same names but I try to be very careful.

1861 piece 2702/folio 115/page 40...I believe the Barretts that share with them are Hanora's parents...my GGG grandparents

1871 piece 3798/folio 111/page 10

1881 listed as McDonnell and Ann instead of Hanora or Hanna..also ages wrong but everything points to it

1891 piece 2926/folio 17. All kids gone and just the couple but sure it is them as their son James (my G grandfather) is with his family in same court..no.3 house and they seems to always be close

1901 piece 3428/folio 14/page 17. This is the closes I have come to wondering if I am biting a bit of the jigsaw to fit it in..Joseph, Norah and daughter Rose. Ages wrong but then again even if they were correct, the daughter cannot be just 10 years younger than them. Also their son James is again close by page 20- no. 5 St John Place.

by 1911 their son James has died and his family are at piece 22194 reg 453. But from that point I cannot find Joseph or Hanora but cannot locate their deaths. I do not think that they had moved. These were people living in destitution in the slums of Liverpool..the Courts....I cannot see them having the money to move but also they have always stayed close to one another. My Grandmother was James daughter Margaret Ellen and she lived to 1979 so I knew her well into my thirties so I have some info but oh I wish Id asked more questions!
    Thanks very much

1901 piece 3428/folio 14/page 17. This is the closes I have come to wondering if I am biting a bit of the jigsaw to fit it in..Joseph, Norah and daughter Rose. Ages wrong but then again even if they were correct, the daughter cannot be just 10 years younger than them. Also their son James is again close by page 20- no. 5 St John Place.
    Ancestry has it as folio 14; page 19.
    Alma

GRO and FindMyPast
    Death Registration
    Honora McDonald, age 64 (YoB c. 1837), Dec Qtr 1901, Toxteth Park, 8b 122

Joseph and "Hannah" are in Toxteth in '91.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Did you notice the death index entry of Honora Mcdonald in Toxteth Park in 1901, as shown on FreeBMD?
    It might be interesting to know if it's her, and if she's shown as a widow. I can't find a possible Joseph, but it was common for widowers (and many widows) to go and live with one of their children...

Helachau types faster than me!

ourshay

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Did you notice the death index entry of Honora Mcdonald in Toxteth Park in 1901, as shown on FreeBMD?
    It might be interesting to know if it's her, and if she's shown as a widow. I can't find a possible Joseph, but it was common for widowers (and many widows) to go and live with one of their children...

Helachau types faster than me!
    thank you so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast