Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Transported from Tasmania.

For those who know me I am off on the trail of more convicts ...

One who I am researching at the moment is Charlotte Davies who was transported from Carnarvon in 1824 for 7 years, sent to Tasmania; constantly in trouble.

In 1830 she married William Winter, and he died 1839.

Then in 1843 she married John Goodman say that she was 50 (but I think she was a little younger than that) and he said he was 30!!

26 March 1847 and her daughter Mary Ann Winter were found guilty of stealing bee hives and honey at Launceston Quarter Sessions and she was sentenced to 7 years transportation, and the daughter to 3 months hard labour.

My question is where was she transported to? There is something written on the conduct record but I can't read it.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON40-1-3$init=CON40-1-3p31

Do you mean the entry below "Free by Servitude"?

Can make out "Again tried Launceston ------? 6 Mar 1847 sent(enced?) seven years
    Transp'd for stealing 3 bee hives value of & 20 lb honey value 10/- property of Thomas Barker
    She is fined portion of their _____ ___ probation ____ and allowed to return to her husband vide petition 13 Aug 1847

Name ? 18/3/51
    CP refused to apply in 3 mths 1/2/1852
    _____ freedom 8/5/54 Longford

Enjoyed reading the Trove report of her 2nd appearance in court in '47 and selecting the jury! The paper had them stealing 60lbs of honey.g

The report of her conviction in 1827 in the North Wales Gazette describes her as "young and rather handsome".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Brick wall demolition expert!

Yes you have it correct.

Initially in 1847 they were arrested with her then husband, John Goodman, but he was able to prove that he was at home so was in the clear.

At her trial in Caernarfon she was described as 'a “a woman of ill-fame'” who '”used to wander about sleeping nights in hovels'”. She was arrested in Liverpool!

Before the convict transport ship left London the surgeon fitted her with a truss to correct a hernia.

Not a happy lady.