Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar
    So the widow is Ellen, not Emily.
    I've seen Ellen as Helen in a few records.
    Apologies - my notes have Ellen as widow, but typed Emily instead - must be the sherry!!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post

Intrigued, therefore, why he died in Sidney, New South Wales?
    The Ashburton Guardian, 14 Jan 1896 (NZ papers Past) has answered my question. He is described as a "visitor" to Sidney in reporting his death.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    The Probate Death Index on Findmypast states that he died in Sydney NSW on 13th January 1896.

Mind you, there is also an entry in the Shrewsbury School register that says he left the school in 1849 and died in Australia in 1863!

Peter
    That's the entry I found - admin granted to Emily Henrietta Merewether, widow Emily Merewether. Found Philip Sidney and Emily Merewether at HO107 1857 182 33. Baptism (transcription only) on FMP names him as Philip Sidney Jarrett Merewether.

P.S - I put sherry on everything - but may have to rein back a little with the recent increase in the unit cost of alcohol imposed on the Principality!!

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar Says he died 13 Jan 1896 in Sydney NSW. Administration 19 Sept "to Emily Henrietta Merewether spinster the attorney of Ellen Merewether widow"
    So the widow is Ellen, not Emily.
    I've seen Ellen as Helen in a few records.
    The Ashburton Guardian, 14 Jan 1896 (NZ papers Past) has answered my question. He is described as a "visitor" to Sidney in reporting his death.
    Apologies - my notes have Ellen as widow, but typed Emily instead - must be the sherry!!
    Alright, I submit!
    Blame it on my very un-adventurous relatives who (apart from one great-grandfather) stayed firmly rooted in England and who have therefore left me unused to searching in foreign places.

Weird though that PSM (presumably) still had assets in , or a wife living in, the UK if he was living in NZ, and had been for some time.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Find a Grave states Ellen Murray Merewether was born 1840 in Dundee City, Scotland and died 17 Sep 1896 at Hokitika, Westland District, West Coast, New Zealand. She is buried at Old Stafford Cemetery, Hokitika. No photo.

Am I missing something? Did Philip/Charles have another wife in England, or was his family made up of other relatives—siblings, cousins, etc.?

I'd spotted the death in the West Coast Times, 18th/19th Sep 1896.

Starting to feel at home

Helachau,

You have been looking on ancestry.com.

I was disbelieving when my father told me his grandfather died of sunstroke in January 1896 while visiting the city of Sydney Australia to tidy up the affairs of his recently deceased older brother Charles Merewether who died without a Will the year before in September.

One has to think Sid died of something else. A co-morbid condition while being compromised with the effects of high temperatures environmentally.
    The newspapers of the day said other men died the same day in Sydney of heatstroke and in other places of Australia too.
    Horses were dropping dead in the street.
    Sid died on admission to hospital gasping for breath.

Can any medic pass comment please on what may have been happening to his physiology?
    Would you call it a respiratory arrest?
    A pneumothorax?
    Asthma
    Could his electrolytes have been so out of whack as to interfere with his breathing and ultimately he died of a cardiac arrest?
    Apparently he was an otherwise fit man aged 62yrs.

Now here is another related medical question?
    Sid's retired soldier brother George in England asked the same question as you Helachau and related Sid’s death to his own experience in India.
    His soldier brother George Merewether said he was rendered unconscious during the 'Indian mutiny’ as he says 'on and off for 6 weeks fed on milk and water.'
    I wonder if a person can suffer from brain damage post collapse from excess heat and dehydration.
    Or pure post traumatic stress disorder because George although very well paid was heavily in debt when he retired.
    He sounds like a gambler or a man with nn alcohol addiction.

Comments welcome

Bev

Bev

Starting to feel at home

Pam
    I wrote to Shrewsbury school,

Sids death is in the oral history of living people here.
    His death is not the question.

Shrewsbury said unfortunately the headmaster at the time did not keep records so I do not know when Sid entered school
    Or his school records.
    The school told me the headmaster at the time kept records of prizes given awards I suppose.
    Sam Butler wrote a book The Ways Of The Flesh
    auto biographical fiction where he expresses a kind of hatred for his headmaster.
    It was not released until his death.
    Butler would have been in Shrewsbury school the last year Sid was there.

I think it is true Sam Butler used the same headmaster to interview and make a name for himself back in England.
    I say ‘back' in England because Sam Butler was in NZ the same time as Sid.
    Butler’s book early sci-fi
    Erewhon is considered British literature worth studying.

His sheep station is not far from where Sid mined.
    If you fly there like a crow
    I think Sid was busy goldmining on the West Coast.
    But I reckon they would have known each others whereabouts prior to Sid coming to Westland.
    Butler I think established a gentlemans club in Christchurch.

I have read NZers believe Sam was gay.
    I read somewhere Butler was expert at destroying his tracks.

Bev

Starting to feel at home

Pam
    Aunt Emily the attorney I found that too.

I want to reference that for a keepsake?
    Is that the best way to reference it?
    And
    Could she really have been an attorney
    or did she do the work on behalf of an attorney?

It is very early for women lawyers.

Is there a register of attorneys 1896?

She is the author of most of our letters.

Thanks so much

Bev

Emily Henrietta Merewether died 4 June 1924 St David's College Ave Maidenhead Berkshire. No reference to her occupation but she left an estate of 13641 pounds 15 shillings and sixpence.
    She is living on private means in the 1911 census and no occupation given. 1901 census is the same information and the same visitor, Alice Lees, same age as Emily H. (67), born Isle of Wight, also living on private means is with her. 1891 census again living on own means. but in St Mary's priory, Catholic Church Torquay, Devon. So no help with the 'attorney' occupation.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

The mention of Philip Sidney Merewether at Shrewsbury school is online in a snippet from the school register on Google Books: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...z6BPEQ6AEIKDAA

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast