woofas

Default Overseas Service

According to my grandfather's Army Records, He served in China from 16 Apr 1898 to 28 July 1903. But what do these dates actually mean? Did he leave the UK on 16 Apr or was that when he arrived in China? Similarly for the return. Obviously at this time the journey would have taken some weeks>

I don’t know, but if I was doing your search, I’d be looking at newspapers of the time - they often covered regimental movements at that time. I assume that you know his regiment?

woofas

Quote Originally Posted by woofas View Post
    According to my grandfather's Army Records, He served in China from 16 Apr 1898 to 28 July 1903. But what do these dates actually mean? Did he leave the UK on 16 Apr or was that when he arrived in China? Similarly for the return. Obviously at this time the journey would have taken some weeks>
    He was in the RASC so presumably could have been posted as an individual. Surely all Army records use the same notation for details of overseas service?

Hi
    Here is The National Archives research guide which may be able to help.
    Would you like to give us your grandfather's name, service number etc to see if we can find anything?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

woofas

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Here is The National Archives research guide which may be able to help.
    Would you like to give us your grandfather's name, service number etc to see if we can find anything?
    Christina
    Hi Christina
    Thanks for your kind offer, anything you can discover will be of great help.
    My grandfather was Frederick Gibson, his number in the Army Service Corp was 15558 although it appears to have been 96637 on his enlistment in the Royal Artillery.
    His record shows: Home to 15/4/98, Hong Kong 16/4/98 to 24/11/1900, Wei hai wei 25/11/00 to 28/7/1903 and then Home 29/7/03 to 22/3/14
    Equally interesting is my great grandfather Edward Gibson who served 21 years in the RA. his number appears to be 2219 on enlistment and 88343 on discharge although he is also referred to as No 27 Gunner! He served on St Helena 20/4/1847 to 11/12/1852
    Regards
    Fred