Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking military service number

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I will try and include as much information as I can and hopefully it will make sense
    I am looking information on my Grandfather; George Webber 11/11/1911 (Mothers side) I know quite a lot about him, I have his birth/marriage and death certificates, I know where he was born/married and died, I know all his brothers and sisters, his parents and grandparents BUT I do not know anything about his military career during WWII (Army), absolutely nothing, not the years served, which regiment he was with or his service number. He never talked about it, if fact made light of it and changed the subject but I understand from some distant cousins, he had some bad experiences. I found him living in Bristol in 1939, married and with my mother aged 2.
    I do have some photographs of him in uniform although not sure how helpful they would be, and I know of his older brother William 382: 1st/6th Bn., Devonshire Regiment who died on 08 March 1916 Basra. I think some of his other brothers joined the same regiment but information a bit sketchy on them but would assume he would join the them also, only an assumption tho.
    My question is how do I go about finding his information? I have been told without a service number there is not much chance of getting anything back from MOD.
    Any help or advice on steps that could be taken would be very much appreciated,
    thanks Mike

Reputation beyond repute

I have been told without a service number there is not much chance of getting anything back from MOD.
    You need his service number OR his date of birth.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Although it links to the pages Peter's directed you to, I always think this is a more user-friendly link.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-WW2-amp-after

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the link, just a quick question: Do I use 'next of kin' request form or 'Not next of kin request form'?
    I am the grandson and oldest surviving member of his family so technically I would be next of kin! not sure how it works.

OK Think I have it, apologies
    Last edited by Mike180357; 14-03-2020 at 3:37 PM. Reason: up dated

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Next of kin.
    There's a box to tick to say what the relationship is.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”