Default My First Visit to Archives

After discovering that my G Grand Uncle's diaries are archived (https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ealogy-JACKPOT!!) I made my first visit along with my 2 sisters to the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.

The diaries were waiting for us as arranged and we set to work reading and photographing(permit £9.00)them. I took my tripod but I was able to use their own purpose built camera stand with lighting. This helped no end and I was able to photograph 15 diaries,(there are over 40 total) 1118 pictures in all, taking care to keep them in chronological order.

We found the staff very helpful and they are even helping me with tracing the person who donated the diaries to the centre.

I spent several hours at home making each diary into a PDF file and have read the first one, 1904. 1905 is missing so I am half way through 1906. A fascinating insight into his daily life. Having glimpsed at the odd entry as I was photographing them, I know his son went to war so I should be able to trace his military history. Who knows what else I will find.

I am making notes of any significant events, birthdays,illness,accidents,house moves etc.

Two more visits to the Archives should suffice to photograph the remaining diaries but for now I have many hours of interesting reading ahead.

Oh wow Paul what a find. I am green with envy but not of the hours of work you have ahead of you.
    If this was my diaries it would only take a few minutes to read each one because appointments and bills paid are of no interest to anyone. I admire those people who write intimately of their daily lives.
    happy reading.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    If this was my diaries it would only take a few minutes to read each one because appointments and bills paid are of no interest to anyone. Christina
    Christina, I know what you mean but some of the handwriting takes a bit of deciphering so I am taking my time so as to not miss any events.

I keep reading bits out loud to my wife. "Hah, he killed a pig today. Ah, he made a kite for his son. Down the pub -/6".

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rixon View Post
    After discovering that my G Grand Uncle's diaries are archived (https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ealogy-JACKPOT!!) I made my first visit along with my 2 sisters to the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.

The diaries were waiting for us as arranged and we set to work reading and photographing(permit £9.00)them. I took my tripod but I was able to use their own purpose built camera stand with lighting. This helped no end and I was able to photograph 15 diaries,(there are over 40 total) 1118 pictures in all, taking care to keep them in chronological order.

We found the staff very helpful and they are even helping me with tracing the person who donated the diaries to the centre.

I spent several hours at home making each diary into a PDF file and have read the first one, 1904. 1905 is missing so I am half way through 1906. A fascinating insight into his daily life. Having glimpsed at the odd entry as I was photographing them, I know his son went to war so I should be able to trace his military history. Who knows what else I will find.

I am making notes of any significant events, birthdays,illness,accidents,house moves etc.

Two more visits to the Archives should suffice to photograph the remaining diaries but for now I have many hours of interesting reading ahead.
    Have you thought of offering the archives a copy of the digital images you are making,in that way they could offer future researchers a digital copy of the diaries.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Have you thought of offering the archives a copy of the digital images you are making,in that way they could offer future researchers a digital copy of the diaries.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy,

No the thought hadn't occurred to me. I will speak with them on my next visit.
    Paul