Default Anderson - 1851 - Mullins Burn, Lanarkshire

Hi

I have found a record in the 1851 census of a family living in Mullins Burn, Cadder in 1851. They are the closest match I have found for a family which lived in Carrickfergus and then Belfast (perhaps with Cadder in the middle). I am descended from John and Helen (Ellen) Anderson (nee Lockhart)

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...851/0019459015

My question is how can I find out more about this family, particularly the birth of Samuel but also anything that would tie them back to Ireland. The interesting dates are the birth of Margaret as the eldest child and also the birth of John who was thought to be Scottish (Edinburgh) but is recorded as Irish

I have a copy of the census record from Scottish People and it would be great to know (as a Scottish genealogy newbie) how I can progress from this record please?

Many thanks Tony

If you look at our General Scottish forum, there is a set of posts about what you can find, and where.
    Have you looked for this family in the 1841 or 1861? The census entries should tell you where the children were born. Scottish genealogy is complicated by the fact that BMDs started later (1855) than England (1837).

Try and find out where that family were at different times, build a list of the kids and where the parents said they were born and where (people weren’t always that accurate), and bearin mind that they might not be your family. Not all records have survived.
    The LDS site, FamilySearch, is very useful for doing preliminary searching befor you need the sites where you have to pay.

Thank you Lesley

The 1841 census gives multiple matches for John in Lanarkshire. LDS site threw up no useful match. From the census record I have in 1851 I have Samuel born to John and Helen in 1851 in Cadder, Lanarkshire but can not find the birth.

The other siblings are all born in Ireland including John and Helen.

The other birth I am interested in is Margaret born in 1841 in Ireland. I can find one born in 1846 but Margaret is interesting if she is the eldest child and then a possible marriage is earlier than I originally thought

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Growing old Disgracefully

1841 Census possoble with parents have you seen this

Name: John Anderson
    Estimated birth year: abt 1821
    Where born: Ireland
    Civil Parish: Glasgow St Johns
    County: Lanarkshire
    Address: 105 Old Vennal
    Parish Number: 644/1
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    John Anderson 50
    Aley Anderson 40
    Jean Anderson 25
    John Anderson 20
    Thos Anderson 10
    James Anderson 8
    Joseph Anderson 1

Famous for offering help & advice

I havent stumbled across Samuel yet, but there is an interesting Catholic baptism in 1848 on Scotlands People:

Name: ANDERSON, JANE
    Parents: JOHN ANDERSON & ELLES LOCKHART
    Born: 4/10/1848
    Baptised: 5/10/1848
    Parish: Glasgow, St John's

Famous for offering help & advice

There is also a baptism in Antrim in 1845 of a William John Anderson with the parents John Anderson & Ellen Lockhart. This matches with the William J Anderson in the 1851 census.

Thank you Sandy and Jomot

The William John is indeed a match with my Carrickfergus / Larne / Antrim family of John and Ellen. In the Irish records William is the eldest then Margaret, then Matilda, then Samuel, then Robert, then James, David and Agnes. In the Scottish 1851 census Margaret is the eldest, then Matilda then william which matches dates also with Samuel

They are wonderfully close especially given the lack of Irish records. Hence, the baptism of Jane is a fantastic find (even thorough I have not seen a Jane before!)

The 1851 census adds 4 siblings for John: Jean, Thomas, James and Joseph - I have a James b 1831 but I dont doubt my detail is missing here. If the parents are john and Aley does the record reveal the mother's maiden name please?

Thank you so much for your assistance

If Samuel was born in Scotland in 1851, he will not have a birth certificate. Your only hope would be church records. Scotland’s People has a lot, including Church of Scotland, Catholic, and Other, but a lot of records have not survived. I was hoping that Samuel would show up in a second census...

Thanks Lesley

Ill look again - the Scottish census record says Samuel was both in Cadder, parish of Chryston -

His military record (59th regiment of foot) says Carrickfergus, father John (living at Broadway, Belfast in later life ~1890) as does Roots Ireland - Samuel Hamilton Anderson