Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Williamina Fraser or Webster

Hi All, this lady according to her death Record was born 31 July 1924 in I am pretty certain Scotland, she married in Newport Monmouthshire to a Patrick T Lynch, there are two names listed for Williamina, Williamina F Webster and Williamina Fraser- Chetticks.

Is ther anyone who could check the birth records for her, or anyone who could explain whey she married with both names.

This lady is a Grandmother of a friend of mine, Williamina died in Newport now Gwent in Jan 1994.

Robert

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The marriage certificate should give some clue as to why Williamina had two surname. On the other hand, it might just say (as one of mine does) Dolly Daydream also known as Bertha Biggins. But I know that Dolly/Bertha had two names because she was adopted. I don't know where your local Archives who would have copies of the PRs are. If they're local to you, you could have a walk round there and check the PRs for all the parishes in the Newport registrarion district. This is a list of the places https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/newport2.html
    I know that Welsh newspapers are online, but don't know the dates involved. It would be worth checking those out to see if there is an announcement/report of the wedding which would hopefully tell you in which church/chapel/register office it was held. Which would save searching a lot of PRs.

You really need the marriage certificate to give you the name of WIlliamina's father because there are two birth registrations for a Williamina Webster in 1924 and three Frasers. For those you'll need Scotlands People. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

At some point, your friend is going to have to splash the cash if they want to get any further in their search.

STOP PRESS: Just remembered that FMP have some Scottish baptisms, so it might be worth checking there.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam, much appreciated, is there anyone on here who could do a look up on Scotlandspeople or FMP. Robert

Without any credits on ScotlandsPeople there are three birth registrations for a Williamina Fraser in 1924. One in Inverness, one Killearnan and the third in Sandness.
    In the same year, 1924 there are two birth registrations of a Williamina Webster, one in St Rollox and one on Larbert registration district.
    There are none for a Fraser-Chettick(s) and no marriage of a Fraser to a Chettick(s). There are no births of a Chettick(s) and only one marriage of a Chettick in 1919 of an Esther Chettick to a McNeil.

As Pam has said, your friend needs to buy the marriage certificate.

Marriage registration on FreeBMD
    June 1/4 1968
    FRASER WILLIAMINA to LYNCH
    WEBSTER WILLIAMINA F to LYNCH
    LYNCH PATRICK T to FRASER
    LYNCH PATRICK T to WEBSTER
    NEWPORT 8C page 336

So where is the name Chetticks from, her marriage or her death certifcate as there is no indication of the name or initial C on the marriage index.

OK so I just looked at the printed image of the marriage entry on FreeBMD and below Williamina's entry there is the surname Fraser-Chetticks. This does not belong to Williamina but is the next entry of surname headings and is the entry for a Peter G Fraser-Chettick who married a Lloyd in the Sittingbrn registration district, vol 5f page 977.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The surname looks like Chetticks on the printed image but on the index entry is Fraser-Chitticks and has the full registration district name Sittingbourne.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank You Christanel, any info is welcome, and I will heed your advice and that of Pamela