Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    That's great, Peter. Fingers crossed the baptism is the one

Please let us know what the birth certificate says, good luck.
    Of course, will do , you have been very helpful so I'll let you know

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi petermac, did you live in Newport

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    Hi petermac, did you live in Newport
    No, Nelson Lancs

Hi Alma, had an interesting visit to the archives but drew another blank for Michael. When I rung them they indicated they held a record for him but it was the baptismal registers for that church up to 1842. I looked t them on microfilm from 1834 onwwards and got the same results as I'd seen online so they had been transcribed and uploaded to the online parish clerk site for the whole county. I did find a Bridget MCLoughlin born 24/9/1840 to parents Michael and Bridget (Lavelle) I hadn't seen before though. I did a search on her and can see her on the 1861 census with her mum Bridget (56) living in Liverpool. A member of staff at the archives bud a free BMD search for me and emailed me a couple of links to two Micheals born in Liverpool in 1839 and 1841 but haven't had time to research them fully yet. Like you the member of staff said don't get too hung up on the dates of birth on the census and another little snippet of information he gave me was they sometimes took the name of a dead sibling, so if someone was baptised John say and his brother Michael died as an infant or in childbirth then they (presume Catholics) would take the name of the one who died and call themselves by that name onwards. Anyway, after drowning my sorrows in a local pub I ordered the Ancestry DNA kit, two of my colleagues have had a lot of success with it. I'll let you know the results

Hi Peter,

Thank you for updating me on your visit to the archives. Disappointing that you didn't find Michael's baptism.

My cousin when young had met her natural father, he lived in Liverpool and she lived in Yorkshire but she didn't know anything about his family. She did the Ancestry DNA and had great results, she's now in contact with her half-siblings and they all get on very well and go on holiday together. I hope you have success finding Mcloughlin relatives, fingers crossed for you.

I like your style, going to a local pub to drown your sorrows, I hope a pint or two cheered you up.

Good luck, Peter.

I'll take another look for Mcloughlins and report back if I find anything of interest.
    Alma

Hi Alma, got the PDF copy of Martins birth. The parents are Michael and Catherine (formerly Lee) so it must be them although they are using the surname Maclockley. The birth is 5th of November 1860 in Bolton. I can't make the address out its Livsey something, possibly row Elton but it's registered 12th of December. Michael is listed as a cotton spinner

So birth registered the month after

Quote Originally Posted by petermac68 View Post
    Hi Alma, got the PDF copy of Martins birth. The parents are Michael and Catherine (formerly Lee) so it must be them although they are using the surname Maclockley. The birth is 5th of November 1860 in Bolton. I can't make the address out its Livsey something, possibly row Elton but it's registered 12th of December. Michael is listed as a cotton spinner
    Hi Peter, do you remember the census I posted a while back for a family named Walton whose details (apart from surname) seemed to fit with your ancestors? They lived in Back Livsey St, is there a number for the address on the birth certificate?

1861, RG 9; Piece: 2852; Folio: 119; Page: 59;
    53, Back Livsey St, Elton.
    Michael Walton 26, spinner, Bolton
    Catherine Walton 20, Ireland
    Martin Walton 5/12, Bury

A birth date of 5th Nov 1860 fits perfectly with Martin being 5 months old as per census, the 1861 census was taken on 7th April 1861.
    Alma

I do. You said you had found that family which might have been mine then they disappeared from 1871 onwards. This is so interesting, it seems like them but why would they call themselves Walton. I know Irish people were discriminated against but this means like you say, they could have been hiding for some reason.

Peter, can you answer this question, please.

They lived in Back Livsey St, is there a number for the address on the birth certificate?
    Alma

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast