Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This looks like Martin's birth registration and if so it's another variation on the surname spelling. One thing to keep in mind is the majority of people were illiterate at that time therefore they wouldn't know how their surname was spelt, scribes wrote what they heard. It wasn't until early 20th century that surnames became standardised.

MACLOCKLEY, MARTIN, mother's maiden name LEE
    GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in BURY LANCASHIRE Volume 08C Page 394

The baptism record agrees with a Dec 1860 birth qrt.

Baptism: 17 Mar 1861 St Marie, Bury, Lancashire, England
    Martinus McLoughlin - filius Michaelis McLoughlin & Catherinae (formerly Lee)
    Born: 5 Nov 1860
    Godparents: Patricius Lee; Catherina Pearson
    Alma

Peter, I too cannot find them in 1861 and I've tried every which way.

When searching by their first names only, i.e. omitting their surname and entering approx birth years and places of birth this record comes up, though if it is them I don't know why the surname change unless they were in hiding for some reason! Apart from the different surname all other details fit and I cannot find the 'Walton's' after 1861.

53 Back Livsey Street, Elton, Bury.
    Michael Walton 26, cotton spinner, Bolton.
    Catherine Walton 20, Ireland
    Martin Walton 5/12, Bury.

The 1861 census was taken on 5th April 1861, which does fit with age 5 months for Martin who was born 5th Nov 1860.
    Alma

I have Martin on the tree as another child of Michael and Catherine. I think that ref you have found is definitely him so I'm going to order the birth cert and see where he was born. Then I may be able to trace them on the 1861 census. Many thanks

Hey, that's interesting. Using another surname perhaps. Exciting this ancestry stuff

I'm beginning to think Michael was never baptised which could be why he had to marry in a Zion Baptist Chapel and not a Catholic Church. Maybe he was illegitimate

Quote Originally Posted by petermac68 View Post
    I'm beginning to think Michael was never baptised which could be why he had to marry in a Zion Baptist Chapel and not a Catholic Church. Maybe he was illegitimate
    Illegitimacy didn't deny a child baptism. On the censuses, Michael says he was born Bolton, have you contacted the local record office to enquire which Roman Catholic parish records they have? Not all Catholic churches deposited their parish registers. I'd be very surprised, shocked even if he wasn't baptised, Catholic parents are not/were not lax with baptisms of their babies.
    Alma

If he was baptised in the St Peter and Paul Church the records are at Lancashire County Council as the Church closed in 1995. I've used the online parish clerk but I've just sent an email and may go over to county hall as it isn't far

Just spoken to the records office and they seem to have a baptism record f which might be him. They've given me the register details and volume number and they will email me back and I'll probably have to order acopy. I've ordered Martins both cert

Quote Originally Posted by petermac68 View Post
    Just spoken to the records office and they seem to have a baptism record f which might be him. They've given me the register details and volume number and they will email me back and I'll probably have to order acopy. I've ordered Martins both cert
    That's great, Peter. Fingers crossed the baptism is the one

Please let us know what the birth certificate says, good luck.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

53 Back Livsey Stree
    t, Elton, Bury.
    Michael Walton 26, cotton spinner, Bolton.
    Catherine Walton 20, Ireland
    Martin Walton 5/12, Bury.
    Interestingly, Catherine's father, Peter, and family were living at 25 Back Livsey St in 1861.
    Alma

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast