Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Can you post the details from the marriage certificate, please? His address, his father's occupation and the witnesses' names.

Marriage was 1857 10th of October GRO CERT 364120,District Haslingden Lancs, county of Lancaster. He was listed as being 23 on that date and his wife 17 years old. He was a winder in a cotton mill and Catherine (Lee) was a rover in a cotton mill. Father was Micheal McLoughlin too , he is listed as a boiler maker (journeyman) and Peter Lee (Catherines dad ) a stone mason. The witnesses are Patrick and Mary Lee. It was in the Zion Baptist Chapel , Cloughfold which is odd as they were all catholics but all the other information ties up so I do think its them

Quote Originally Posted by petermac68 View Post
    Marriage was 1857 10th of October GRO CERT 364120,District Haslingden Lancs, county of Lancaster. He was listed as being 23 on that date and his wife 17 years old. He was a winder in a cotton mill and Catherine (Lee) was a rover in a cotton mill. Father was Micheal McLoughlin too , he is listed as a boiler maker (journeyman) and Peter Lee (Catherines dad ) a stone mason. The witnesses are Patrick and Mary Lee. It was in the Zion Baptist Chapel , Cloughfold which is odd as they were all catholics but all the other information ties up so I do think its them
    Thank you for the marriage details, is there an address entered?

So his marriage certificate has age 23 giving a birth year of approx 1834. There are two Michael Mcgloughan's (note spelling) together on the 1851 census, however, their occupations don't fit with the ones on the marriage certificate but occupation could have changed between 1851 - 1857. THey are living at 55, Cross St, Great Bolton, lodging with a William Griar, Michael the elder is 52 born Ireland an ag. lab, Michael the younger 17, born Bolton a hawker, also in the household is Frances Mcgloughan 13, born Bolton.

This seems to be Frances' birth on Freebmd.

Mcloughlan Frances, Dec qrt 1837, Bolton, vol 21, page 89.

This is the GRO record that has FRANCIS (male) but according to the census it is FRANCES a female.

MCLOUGHLAN, FRANCIS, Mother's maiden name LAVISELL
    GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in BOLTON UNION Volume 21 Page 89
    Alma

I can't find evidence of a surname LAVISELL, Goole offers these alternatives Lovell and Lavelle.
    Alma

1841,Howell Croft, Great Bolton. HO107; Piece: 535; Book: 9; Folio: 7; Page: 6;
    Michael Mclaughlin 40, pedlar, Ireland.
    Bridget Mclaughlin, 43, Ireland
    Michael Mclaughlin, 8 Lancashire
    Frances Mclaughlin, 3. Lancashire

The above is from The Genealogist, Ancestry has indexed the surname as McLowshard
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Thank you for the marriage details, is there an address entered?

So his marriage certificate has age 23 giving a birth year of approx 1834. There are two Michael Mcgloughan's (note spelling) together on the 1851 census, however, their occupations don't fit with the ones on the marriage certificate but occupation could have changed between 1851 - 1857. THey are living at 55, Cross St, Great Bolton, lodging with a William Griar, Michael the elder is 52 born Ireland an ag. lab, Michael the younger 17, born Bolton a hawker, also in the household is Frances Mcgloughan 13, born Bolton.

This seems to be Frances' birth on Freebmd.

Mcloughlan Frances, Dec qrt 1837, Bolton, vol 21, page 89.

This is the GRO record that has FRANCIS (male) but according to the census it is FRANCES a female.

Well found Almach.
    In 1841 I think they are in Howell Crift Bolton.
    Mecheal McLoughland 40
    Bridget 43, Michael 8 Francis (male)3. P535 F7 p6
    Lancs opc has baptisms in Bolton of John 1825, 1833 Michael, 1835 Cath, 1837 Francis, 1840 Bridget
    Mmn Bridget Lavelle, Laval,Laville Laville

Death registration.

MCLOUGHLAND, BRIDGET, age 51
    GRO Reference: 1848 M Quarter in BOLTON UNION Volume 21 Page 84
    Alma

Hi Alma,
    Thanks for your support, it’s really appreciated. First of all the address for Michael on his marriage certificate is Gate, Bacup, Newchurch , Rossendale, Lancs. Catherine lived at Airton Buildings, Bacup, Newchurch, Rossendale, Lancs
    His son, John (my great great grandfather is listed as being born on the 29/12/1858 in Airton Buildings too. I can pick them up from census records with a lot of certainty from 1871. In that census they lived at Butcher Hill (poss 48) Todmorden and Walsden Lancs. In 1891 they lived at 21 Shackleton st Colne, Lancs, 1901 44 Church meadows Colne, Lancs and he died on the 29th of September 1907 in 10 Parliament st Colne. Catherine died on the 29th of April at the same address.
    On Michaels death cert he is listed as 67 when he died which would put his DOB back to around 1840 which the other censuses seem to agree with.
    However, the two Michael (McLoughlans ) you have found in 1851 are with me pursuing as Michael the younger is down as a hawker and on the census records I have he is listed as a pedlar (similar thing) but the DOB’s don’t tie up. When I was doing my previous research, I found a baptism via Lancashire online parish clerks below and that Michael has the mother with the maiden name of Laville but I discounted it due to the name variation (although that happens) and the baptism date. Michael may have lied about his age at the time of marriage because unless you were 21 you needed the parent’s permission of the minor. Maybe she was pregnant, and they couldn’t or wouldn’t get married in the Catholic church so chose a Zion Baptist chapel, who knows.
    The most frustrating thing is I cannot find him or his parents with any degree of certainty on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. There is a similar family in 1841 living in St George the Martyr in Surrey but his dad is listed as a surveyor, so I don’t think its them. Without knowing for sure who is mum was I can’t make the link to Ireland with any certainty.
    I might order the birth cert for Frances/Francis to see if that gives me any clues or take the DNA test. A colleague at work did it and it has traced a half brother her dad never knew about. Anyway, if you do come up with anything else please let me know.
    Baptism: 14 Apr 1833 St Peter & St Paul Roman Catholic Church, Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Michael McLaughlan - [Child] of Michael McLaughlan & Bridget (formerly Laville)
    Born: 10 Apr
    Godparents: John McLaughlan; Julia Dunn
    Baptised by: John Anderton
    Register: Baptisms 1825 - 1835, Page 60
    Source: Original register at LRO

Sorry Catherine died in 1925

There is a Catherine McLoughlin on the 1961 census age 18 living in the same area Newchurch too but the rest of her family have the surname Handly, she is listed as the head of the household. Each time i think I've got closer it just throws up more questions

On Michaels death cert he is listed as 67 when he died which would put his DOB back to around 1840 which the other censuses seem to agree with.
    In 1871, Butcher Hill, Michael is entered as born 1836, in 1891 he's born 1837 and in 1881 born 1838. Peter, don't put too much faith in ages back then, it isn't uncommon for ages to differ between records. Folks weren't overly concerned with their year of birth as they didn't need precise birth dates as we do now, and it's doubtful they celebrated their birthdays. Another example of how ages differ from one census to another is Michael's son, Martin - 1871 age 10, 1881 age 18 and 1891 age 27.
    Alma

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast