Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Brickwall - Clara Wylie, Liverpoool

I am trying to find the mother of Arthur Morton, born 1866, son of Johnston Morton, illegitimate but both parents named on a birth certificate.
    They both lived in Liverpool, Clara gave birth, but Johnston ended up looking after his 2 sons George Born 1861 and Arthur on his own, at least thats what the census's say, and he is still married to his first wife Clarinda Gallatley, who also lives in Liverpooland also has another son by Johnston, born in Clonmel in 1855, John who has disappeared for the time being but reappears as an apprentice in the Royal Marines in Plymouth in 1871. Complicated lives they led! Any interest or help appreciated

The first thing I did was look for births on FreeBMD for a Clara Wylie. There are only three anywhere anytime and the first of those is in 1858 so too young to be your girl. I then tried the spelling Whilie with no reults but when I used the spelling Whyley I got 6 results. The only possible two of these were born in 1839 and 1844 both in Birmingham. Have you investigated possible candidtaes with alternative spellings of the surnames?
    The Clara Whyley born Dec 1/4 1839 died and was buried 19 Oct 1839. She was the daughter of Thomas and Maria.
    The Clara Whyley birth registered 1844 was baptised 15 Sept 1865 the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth. She married George Jensen 22 Dec 1865. She is in the censuses with her husband and died in 1914 in Yorkshire. So that eliminates those two as possibles.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a female Wylie birth registered in 1846 West Derby registration district. I wonder if there is any chance of identifying her?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Brickwall - Clara Wylie/Morton

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a female Wylie birth registered in 1846 West Derby registration district. I wonder if there is any chance of identifying her?
    Christina
    Hi Christanel, Thank you for the time you have taken to reply, very helpful. I have a birth certificate for the Arthur, the son born to Clara Wylie and Johnston Morton, Clara is actually named Morton on the certificate, I think for respectability purposes only as there is no record of any marriage to Johnston that I can find. No other info is forthcoming from the certificate apart from her being illiterate. I think Johnston had a liking for younger women so her 1846 birth date would match that, making her 20 when giving birth.
    I will rummage about a little more and place her in the tree as a possible.
    Thanks again
    S

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I cannot now find Clara Wylie in the West Derby birth register for 1846

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Steviepeas View Post
    I cannot now find Clara Wylie in the West Derby birth register for 1846
    WYLIE, (female) mmn TATTERSALE GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 20 Page 1056

I think the mmn should be Tattersall and that her parents were Edward Earl Wylie and Hannah Maria Tattersall, married 1838. There is a baptism of an Annie Wylie to this couple in Liverpool on 17 Feb 1847, date of birth 27 Sep 1846, which would fit with an Oct-Dec registration.

Thanks jomot1 for following through on the Female Wylie birth 1846. So another one bites the dust, Bah! There ar a couple of public trees on ancestry with this Annie in them but they don't have a marriage for her. More searching needed I think.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm just bemused, how you find it o quickly, thanks

The Female Wylie born 1846 now known to be Annie Wylie is in the subsequent censuses up to 1911 and remains single. 1871 and 1881 she is with her parents, 1891, 1901 and 1911 she is head of the household and single. However she is not with her parents in 1861 and I have not found her in the 1861 census as yet. So does this leave us with the possibility she may have been using the first name Clara for a while then reverted to Annie and remained single.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

1851 living in Liverpool with parents, 1861 missing, 1871 in Rock Ferry, Cheshire with father and siblings.
    1871 with father Edward a retired timber merchant and ship owner. Annie - no occupation.
    1881 with father in Cheshire who is a retired merchant. Annie no occupation. and a grandson of father Edward is a Donald Newton age 6 born London.
    {Birth reg on GRO index gives mmn Wylie. full name Donald McGregor Newton birth reg Sept 1/4 1874 Kensington registration district. A marriage in Wirral, Cheshire registration district for a Jessie Wylie and Alfred Pizzay Newton. Donald is with his parents and siblings in 1891.}
    I looked at Donald just in case he was an illegitimate child of Annie but he is now eliminated.

Annie's father Edward died in 1882 leaving an estate of 56,758 pounds which is why Annie is of independant means in the following censuses.

1891 Missing
    1901 in Haswell with Oldfield Cheshire, living on own means, Single, one servant.
    1911 Same address as 1901, again living on own means.

Annie died 1917 age 70.

All of this may seem irrelevant and could be, but she is the only possibility I can find right now so am trying to eliminate her or see her as a possibility.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast