Thread: Saying hello

Default Saying hello

I have been researching my own family tree for years and I also like to create family histories for the elderly folk living in a local care home and for friends and family. I love the research aspect, but have a couple of seemingly unbreakable brick walls relating to one ancestor who was born in Belgium (Cornelius Thierens) in an indeterminate year, and another who was a Scottish railway contractor (Duncan McColl) and whose daughter married my (several times) great grandfather (the one from Belgium) in the East Riding of Yorkshire. What a pesky couple they have turned out to be.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums worthone.
    I have enough trouble with some of my ancestors who were all born in England and never left so can imagine how much more difficult it is tracing ancestors from foreign parts.
    Our members do love a challenge though so you could choose a suitable forum (brick walls?) and gvie all the info you have on these two and we can at least give it a go at pulling out a brick or two.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Is this the same Cornelius Thierens who appears on four consecutive Censuses (1861 – 1891) living with his family in Lathom, Lancashire? Local interest, as I drive through Lathom every day!

If so, have you tried searching Geneanet? There are a number of entries for Cornelius Thierens.

I couldn't see a birth for Cornelius between 1810 and 1820 but there is a Joannes Cornelius Thierens b. 1762, who married in 1813 and who, therefore, could be Cornelius's father.

Peter