Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Liverpool ancestors

I am trying to find any information about Emma Johnson born c1824 in Liverpool. She married a James Challinor in Liverpool 1847. Her address was given as Clarence Street, Her father was given as John Johnson Carter, Deceased.
    I am struggling to find a birth for her, a death for her father, their whereabouts on the 1841 census.
    I would be grateful for any help.

Fran

Famous for offering help & advice

I see that the witnesses are John & Elizabeth Hewitt, so I wonder if this is the same couple:
    Marriage at St Philip, Liverpool 28 Dec 1834 John Hewitt, Bachelor & Elizabeth Johnson, Spinster.

In 1841 they may be at Back Myers Street, Walton on the Hill, West Derby, both enumerated as aged 30, with children William 6, Emma 3, and Sarah 2

HEWITT, SARAH ANNE mmn JOHNSON
    GRO Reference: 1839 M Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 20 Page 895

Emma Hewitt was baptised Liverpool, St Peter 28 Jun 1837

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I see that the witnesses are John & Elizabeth Hewitt, so I wonder if this is the same couple:
    Marriage at St Philip, Liverpool 28 Dec 1834 John Hewitt, Bachelor & Elizabeth Johnson, Spinster.

In 1841 they may be at Back Myers Street, Walton on the Hill, West Derby, both enumerated as aged 30, with children William 6, Emma 3, and Sarah 2

HEWITT, SARAH ANNE mmn JOHNSON
    GRO Reference: 1839 M Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 20 Page 895

Emma Hewitt was baptised Liverpool, St Peter 28 Jun 1837
    Do you mean that Elizabeth Hewitt nee Johnson was possibly a sister to Emma?
    Emma's daughter was called Elizabeth Emma.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have now found Emma, with hubby James, in 1861. Living in Lincoln. Census reference RG9/2358 folio 92 page 8.
    Surname indexed as Challines on FMP. I have sent a note saying that I believe there is an error in the indexing.
    Both James and Emma say they were born in Liverpool.

Re the 1841 census, I'd forgotten till I started searching that ages over 15 were supposed to be rounded-down to the nearest five so therefore we should be searching for an Emma born c 1826 (i.e.aged about 15). Found several in Lancashire, but none with a father John, or with an occupation of carter. (Though, everyone, please feel free to check again, because my search was for born 1824 +/- 2 years. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have found a couple of Emma Johnson's aged 15 in workhouses as well. So hard to get relevant information.

Thanks for your help

Fran
    Last edited by chalabbott; 06-03-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Wron name

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks - can anyone find her birth or baptism records - I found one for an Emma with parents John and Martha - but the occupation of Father was Stretcher(if I am reading it properly). I will check church and date!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The record I found was an Emma Johnson - baptised at St Michael's/Ashton-under-lyne born to a John Johnson and Martha. I found 3 other children, Benjamin, Eliza and Nathaniel, born to the same couple but no Elizabeth.
    So I am still no further on solving this puzzle.

Fran

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The birth I found for an Emma Johnson, father John, mother Martha was at St Michaels Church, Ashton - under -Lyne, Lancashire. There were other children born to this couple near to Emma's birth but not an Elizabeth. So I still have no proof that Emma and Elizabeth share the same father.

Fran

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Do you mean that Elizabeth Hewitt nee Johnson was possibly a sister to Emma?
    Emma's daughter was called Elizabeth Emma.
    Yes, that was my thought process, I think these may be two further daughters, although in the 1851 census Ellen is Mary Ellen.

HEWITT, ELIZABETH mmn JOHNSON GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 20 Page 1147
    HEWITT, ELLEN mmn JOHNSON GRO Reference: 1848 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 20 Page 995

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG56-5GG

To confuse things, there are also births for Elizabeth Ann Hewitt & Mary Ellen Hewitt in West Derby with the mmn Marshall.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello there. I did reply last evening but it isn't showing on here. I have found that Elizabeth Hewitt's maiden name was Johnson and I did think it was Emma's sister. Although there is a large age gap - although of course there could be siblings in between. Since Emma's marriage was in 1834 before certificates, I can't prove her father's name was John Johnson.
    Thank you for the extra searching on Elizabeth's family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast