Default Thomas Wayt of Swindon and "Ann" his wife

Hi all,

Time for a new brick wall I would really appreciate some assistance with - identifying the wife of Thomas Wayt (2). Apologies for the length of this post.

There is circumstantial evidence to suggest the wife of Thomas Wayt (2) is "Ann Kemble" daughter of "Henry Kemble" and "Mary Read", but there must be something, somewhere, more definitive. I'm struggling - having done what feels like an exhaustive search!

Summary of information on Thomas Wayt (2):
    Thomas Wayt (2) was a yeoman of Eastcott, Swindon (from at least 1719 to his death in 1753). He died March 1753. Thomas Wayt (2) was the son of Thomas Wayt (1) and Mary Baker (evidence by wills and Thomas Wayt being referred to as "the youngr").

Thomas Wayt (2) was born circa 1679-1700, on the basis that his father married in 1679, and his first child was born in 1718.

Thomas Wayt (2) had four children with only one surviving into adulthood:
    1) Thomas Kemble Wayte - born 1718 - Swindon, and died the same year.
    2) Ann Wayte - born 1719 - Swindon, and died the same year.
    3) Mary Wayte (3) - born 1722 - Swindon, and died 1788.
    4) Sarah Wayte - born 1726 - Swindon, and died 1730.

Summary of information on the wife of Thomas Wayt (2):

Her name was probably "Ann". The burial record for Ann Wayte (1719-1719), identifies Ann as "Ann daughter of Thomas and Ann".
    There is a burial record in Swindon for an Anne Wayte in 1756 which is possibly Thomas's wife.

Further information of potential relevance:

• The family have a connection to Stratton St Margaret. Mary Wayte (3) has a will. In this will it mentions she was leasing the parsonage of Stratton St Margaret, Wiltshire. Thomas Wayte (2) owned land in Stratton St Margaret (per an assignment dated 3 April 1747). It would seem this land enters the family via the wife of Thomas Wayte (2) as it was not held by Thomas Wayte (1) or his wife.
    • Mary Wayte (3) owned land in her own right in Shrivenham, Berkshire. There was a court case with respect to this land. This land would seem to therefore be bean inheritance from her parents.

Speculation on the basis of the above:
    • The "Kemble" family are of Stratton St Margaret
    • The first son has "Kemble" as a middle name. Subsequent generations give the first son a middle-name of a family in the maternal ancestry (e.g. Vilett, Wiltshire, White). This is not always, however, the mother's surname - there are examples of the mother and maternal grandmothers' surnames being used.
    • There are documented interactions between the Kemble and Wayt families
      * John Wayt, butcher of Swindon (relative of Thomas), had William Kemble (baker) as his first named Executor in his will dated 1761.
      * William Kemble and Richard Wayt (brother of Thomas) were named as defendants in a 1734 chancery case against John Rose, gent of St Margaret Westminster, Middlesex and Rebecca Rose his wife (a younger child of Anthony Kemble, mercer, deceased late of Cirencester, Gloucestershire)
    • There is a baptism for an Ann Kemble in Stratton St Margaret in 1700 to Henry Kemble and Mary Read. The Read family owned land in Shrivenham. There is no obvious marriage record for this Ann Kemble, nor a spinster burial record.
    • I believe I have reviewed every Kemble/Wayte PCC and Wiltshire will in the time period, without having identified any relevant information (though I guess the lack of obvious links could be construed as information).

Further links with supporting info:
    I have documented most of the above at http {} s://skliar-ward {dot} com/family/humo_/F301/I3942/ in case it's easier to follow.
    There's also a thread at Rootschat covering Thomas Wayt (1) - http s://www.rootschat {dot} com/forum/index.php?topic=789342[/url] .

Any help would be hugely appreciated, as I'm at the point of giving up!

Thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 05-03-2020 at 1:47 PM. Reason: URLs deactivated

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you looked for the marriage in Wiltshire? There is a marriage index of all extant marriages. It may be online with FMP. Check with Wiltshire Family History Society website to see what it says; if not successful there, send an email enquiring where to look for it. Also check for marriage licence bonds. These often survived when the marriage didn't, and are more informative. Good luck. pwholt

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Have you looked for the marriage in Wiltshire? There is a marriage index of all extant marriages. It may be online with FMP. Check with Wiltshire Family History Society website to see what it says; if not successful there, send an email enquiring where to look for it. Also check for marriage licence bonds. These often survived when the marriage didn't, and are more informative. Good luck. pwholt
    The first question that came to my mind was - have you checked that all of the PRs, ATs, and BTs for the relevant (and nearby) places still exist? You need to go through them page by page because I know instances of where odd pages from various registers have been found. (Though IIRC they ere BTs and in a lot of cases they've been able to match them to PRs.)

On the other hand, considering all the other details which Ben has (and which I wouldn't know where to start looking for!) I suspect he's already done something as basic as checking PRs, etc.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks pwholt and Pam. I have checked the images available online for Wiltshire parishes with a link to the family(and the neighbouring Gloucestershire parishes)in addition to the indexes on Ancestry and FMP.

There is a reasonable chance the marriage record (if it exists) is not in an obviously relevant or nearby place. Marriage records for other Wayt family members are reasonably dispersed - e.g. London, Wiltshire, Berkshire and Kent. There's also some circumstantial evidence that they may have been non-conformist, as several marriages of relatives are into known non-conformist families - and the nonconformist records for Wiltshire/Gloucestershire are very patchy.

I guess what I'm really trying to find is an indirect source (e.g. an indenture, some form of legal document or similar) - or someone to call me out on an obvious mistake/omission in my search.