Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Greaves from Seghill and/or Sleekburn

I'm very new to this site, so forgive me if I'm not in the right place. My ancestry is straight out of a Catherine Cookson novel!

My paternal grandfather was the illegitimate child of Elizabeth Greaves (b 1859), and George Swann (b 1839) Grandad's name was John Greaves born 1881 died 1966. For bringing 'shame' on her family and neighbours, Elizabeth and her family were stoned out of the village (Bedlington) in Northumberland, and moved to the village of Leasingthorne, near Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Elizabeth eventually married George Swann, and they had a second son, also named George. My Grandad retained his mother's surname, throughout his life, despite his parents marriage. The men were all miners (my grandad continued to work at the pit, but as a night watchman, until he was 70 - he was a hard-working man - a 'grafter' in northeast parlance)

I've done a fair bit of work on their tree, via a paid for genealogy site, but haven't (yet) bought any birth/marriage certificates. I guess that's my best chance of confirming I've got the right people!

I'd love to hear from anyone researching any of the Greaves family, from Northumberland, Co Durham, or Seaham Harbour. Elizabeth had many siblings.

Thanks for reading this. Looking forward to any replies. Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have any solid evidence that George Swann was John's father & that the family was 'stoned out' of Bedlington/West Sleekburn, or is this a story passed down the family?

My husband's family lived in Leasingthorne/Merrington for many years, and illegitimacy was not uncommon and unlikely to be something anyone would be 'stoned out' for.

John appears to have been born in Leasingthorne, whereas George was born Sunderland, so his father may well be the George Swann in Sunderland in 1881, a soldier born c1851 Delham, nr Newmarket, Suffolk. In 1891 he is in barracks in Bradford but says he is single. Discharged to Pension from the DLI in November 1891

Could Elizabeth be the Elizabeth Swan who died Newcastle 1884 aged 25? George Swann's service record places him in Newcastle that year.

ADDED: George Jr appears to have changed his name to Greaves and in 1901 is with John at Broom/Bearpark, but gives his PoB as Newcastle.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 03-03-2020 at 1:10 AM. Reason: added info

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

I can see there is a birth of a George SWANN (indexed with 2 Ns) in Sunderland in 1883 (Registrars ref ES38/318) - born 08 Apr 1883 mmn GREAVES
    There is also a marriage of a George SWAN (indexed with 1 N)to Elizabeth GREAVES in Sunderland (Registrars ref M67/90) on 03 Mar 1883 - so cutting it fine! The M reference means it was not a CofE church and more likely the Register office, tho there is an outside chance it was RC or methodist with that M ref.