Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Help Understanding WW2 Service Document

Hello,

It is my understanding that my Great Grandfather served in the British Army during the WW2 period.

He didn't discuss his wartime service with my Grandmother so I know almost nothing about where he was posted, how long he served, his rank etc.

I have a single document pertaining to his service in the British army but I'm unable to confidently decode it.

It appears to be titled "Authority for Rome Establishment" and it bears a stamp dated 29 September 1942 from Infantry Air Depot in Egypt.

I include a link to a scan of the document and hope someone here can tell me something about what it means. I'd like to know the meaning of "T/265817", "L/C", "CRME/43698/A.G.L and other such things I don't understand.

Thanks for your time.

Here is the scan.
    https://imgur.com/DKZfjTE

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

I would say it's Home Establishment rather then Rome Establishment. Rome fell to the Allies 5/6/1944.

He was in the Royal Army Service Corp. It looks like he was posted Home on Compassionate Grounds.

Keith

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

HIs service number is 265817 the T I presume means Territorial - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_R...nited_Kingdom)
    Keith is right, he was in the RASC - his service number is in the block allotted to them - Royal Army Service Corps 1 - 294000 and 10660001 - 11000000
    L/C is his rank, Lance Corporal
    The line written at the start with GHQ MEF is a reference to the authority under which he was posted, it would be a reference to some document.

It was Infantry Base Depot.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Keith and Thanks Robert.

I stared that that faded "Compassionate" for ages and couldn't figure out what it said, it's a relief to have that mystery solved.

I didn't expect to get my hands on the service number, that's a nice bonus.

The service number 265817 is the same service number the "DETAILS OF DECEASED SERVICEMAN/WOMAN" form requests right?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

exactly!
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.