Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Where are Finley's marriages

I've got Finley Thompson born 1829 and married Sarah Ann Gratrex/Gratrix on 25th December 1852. They had children: Finley 1853, Sarah Julia 1855, Christiana Mary 1857, Peter Thomas 1858, Emily 1862 and Samuel Charles 1864.

Finley and Sarah Ann are together through census returns. Sarah Ann died on 6th December 1874. In the 1881 census Finley is in St. Saviour Southwark, Surrey with a 'wife' Mary. He is 52, she is 42. Two children (Emily and Samuel) are there too. In 1891 Finley is in Peckham with Amelia Paull as a/his housekeeper.

I can't find a likely marriage for Finley and Mary between 1874 and 1881. They could have been 'fibbing' but I'd be grateful for someone to have a look and see if they can find a marriage to put my mind at rest - one way or another.

I can't find a marriage between a Mary? and Finl*y Thom*son either. His housekeeper Amelia Parrel was married to John Parrell June 1/4 1862 Kensington. His death could be one of two, 1880 or 1882, and she married Thomas William Parrell in 1883 but he didn't die until 1895 so they were separated and technically I suppose she could call herself a widow from her first marriage
    No joy at all with Mary though. There is a tree on ancestry which gives her maiden name as Baker but no sources to prove that.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The only marriage I can find for Finley Thompson is the one to Sarah Ann. No matter how I spell Finley or Thompson there is nothing for a marriage to Mary even though she is down on the census as wife.

Emeltom

I'm grateful for the time you've taken to look for the Finley/Mary marriage and it sort of confirms my theory that Finley and Mary may not have married. I have another example in this family of a couple purporting to be married when they weren't (and only 'confessed' on the 1939 Registration) and another couple actually claiming to be married on a census. A marriage record proves they were married but the lack of doesn't prove they weren't so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but, on balance, I don't think they had tied the knot officially.

On the Amelia marriages. She seems to have married brothers or cousins, related men? Thank you for that information - more interesting titbits for my family history!