Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default HMS Victory returning home to UK 1797

Hi there. i am trying to find out how to access passenger records for the HMS Victory when it docked in Portsmouth in 1797 after returning from Gibraltar. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello JanieSh,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've moved your post to a thread of its own in a more relevant forum so that it will be more easily seen.

I am no naval expert but I would doubt that there would be any passenger lists as such for HMS Victory because it was basically a military ship. I know that sometimes wives and children went overseas, but I don't know if that only began after, say, 1840 or whether it was common at the end of the 18th century. Are you looking for a particular sailor, or his wife and children?

Hopefully one of our members has greater knowledge than myself.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Some military wives went abroad with the forces - they carried out “suitable” jobs such as laundry and cooking. I’ve only looked at one or two related to my One Place Study, and here was no mention of how the families travelled.
    If you find a source of records, please let us know!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Some military wives went abroad with the forces - they carried out “suitable” jobs such as laundry and cooking. I’ve only looked at one or two related to my One Place Study, and here was no mention of how the families travelled.
    If you find a source of records, please let us know!
    Hi there. Thanks for your reply. One of my ancestors came from Gibraltar to England after the siege of Gibraltar. Apparently they came on the HMS victory. One of my cousins has seen the entry in the ships log but that was in Gibraltar. I was wondering if there is any way to find those records in the UK. I think I got the year wrong - it might have been 1781
    Thanks

You probably need to look at the catalogue of the National archives.