Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What is on line?

I'm very much a beginner with Scottish records. I have started to research a couple who may have roots in Scotland but moved south to Surrey where they lived and ended their days.

Peter Thompson married Christiana and they had children together: Mary in 1824 who died in 1826, Michael Robert born in 1827 and died 1828 and Finley (my direct line ancestor) born in 1829. All born and died in Surrey. I have found a marriage record on LDS of Peter Thompson marrying a Christiana Walker on 30th December 1824 in Glasgow.

Are there any better records on line which would give me some more information or clues to research this couple?

ScotlandsPeople is the site you need I think. Here is the link to our general Scotland forum with a bunch of 'stickys' at the top giving you some sites that may help.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...Family-History
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Scotland's People has a marriage which may be the one you're looking for:

Peter THOMSON m. Christian WALKER 30th December 1824 in Glasgow.

You can view the image of the marriage certificate by registering and purchasing a few credits.

Peter

Apologies, I should have said the parish register entry, not certificate!

Peter

Thanks for the reference to 'Sticky's which I will go through. I had found the 1824 marriage referred to above which would make all their children illegitimate! I will investigate/look at the parish register entry and see where that takes me.

Don't quite understand how a marriage in 1824 would make children born 1824, 1827 and 1829 illegitimate. The first child possibly, depending on date of birth, but not the other two.

Emeltom

You're right, of course. They would not all be illegitimate. I don't know what I was thinking there!

I've got a probable death of Christiana in 1849 aged 94!

I'm also lost in Finley research but he was in Surrey so I'll post up on the general forum ………..

I don't think the 1847 death aged 94 can be your Christiana. That gives a probable birth year of c1755 which would make her about 69 when she gave birth to Mary in 1824.

Emeltom

Finley appears in the 1841 Census in Lambeth with a Peter and Mary Thompson. Peter is aged 36 and Mary 1ged 34 so I'd guess that perhaps Christiana had died and Peter had remarried.

Emeltom

I agree re Christiana's death. I got that from someone else who is researching this family. Another possible death is Q2 1840 aged 31 but it is in The Salford Union which doesn't seem right geographically given that everything else seems to happen in Lambeth or Southwark in Surrey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast