Loves to help with queries

Default Joshua Ball and Ann Geary married 1795

My 4 x great grandparents, Joshua Ball and Ann Geary were married by license
    24 September 1795 in Belgrave, Leicestershire.
    The record of their marriage can be seen in Pallot’s Marriage Index 1780-1837 which
    is on Ancestry and which shows a handwritten very basic record of their marriage.
    On the printed details in Ancestry, it also shows as follows :
    Name
    Ann Geary
    Comment
    p. St Sconard Live
    Spouse
    Joshna Ball
    Spouse Comments
    p St Martin Live
    Marriage Date
    Parish
    Belgrave Leics X

Dusty Docs show it as follows :
    Joshua Ball, p. S. Martin, Leic.,
    & Ann Geary, p. 5. Leonard, Leic., lic. 24 Sept. 1795

I am a little confused as to the various alphabet letters 'p' and other
    words such as 'p St Sconard Live' and 'p'St Martin Live. Also the word 'Leonard' Could these be parish areas where they live or something else.
    I don't have too many details regarding Ann Geary (especially parents and siblings), so if any new details come up while someone is checking these details out, it would be very much appreciated. However, mostly for now, I would just like the words and alphabet letters I've mentioned to be sorted out.
    Regards,
    Sandeea

I’ve escaped from the Scottish sector, so can’t help with all abbreviations, but the p. is probably parish (I’m sure someone will correct me if necessary). You may need a list of old parish names - try genuki.org.uk for such information.

If they were born so late in the 19th century, they may have survived long enough to feature in the 1841 or 1851 census - that will give you all sorts of useful info.

Reputation beyond repute

Pallot's actually says "p St Leonard Leic" and "p St Martin Leic". "P" means parish. St Martin and St Leonard are parishes in Leicester.

Marriage was by licence. You'll want to obtain a copy of the documents which often contain valuable information. You can see the documents on Findmypast. They include the couple's ages and the groom's occupation. You can buy a few credits rather than a full subscription.

Thank you Lesley - I have just done a re-check both Joshua and Ann died prior to 1841.

Thank you Peter....I'll do that.