Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default including photographs

I'm not sure how to include photographs in my post. Would appreciate advice.
    Thanks
    Mary

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know things have changed since the site had an upgrade last year, but I started by looking at the instructions here. Quite a bit is out of date (you can't upload files direct from your computer) but some is still relevant, especially in the second post in the thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-to-your-post

First of all, you need to click the 'go advanced' button which is found immediately under the box you are writing in. (Wedged between 'post quick reply' and 'cancel'.)
    You will then find that above the box, in a blue/grey area you have three rows of letters and symbols.
    In the middle row, if you hover your cursor over the sixth symbol from the right, it will say 'insert image'. Actually click on it. You then get a box into which you can insert a URL. Photobucket was the usual site to use back in the day, but nowadays people seem to use other sites such as imgur.

I'm going to move this thread to your other one asking the best forum in which to post a particular type of photo.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I know things have changed since the site had an upgrade last year, but I started by looking at the instructions here. Quite a bit is out of date (you can't upload files direct from your computer) but some is still relevant, especially in the second post in the thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-to-your-post

First of all, you need to click the 'go advanced' button which is found immediately under the box you are writing in. (Wedged between 'post quick reply' and 'cancel'.)
    You will then find that above the box, in a blue/grey area you have three rows of letters and symbols.
    In the middle row, if you hover your cursor over the sixth symbol from the right, it will say 'insert image'. Actually click on it. You then get a box into which you can insert a URL. Photobucket was the usual site to use back in the day, but nowadays people seem to use other sites such as imgur.

I'm going to move this thread to your other one asking the best forum in which to post a particular type of photo.

Pam
    Many thanks Pam. Will try what you suggest. Fingers crossed!
    Mary

Rats. Currently can't seem to move this thread to the other one, so will have to leave it as it is for the moment.

Fingers crossed for my instructions working.

Pam

Default Including photographs

Thanks Pam
    I've clicked on the Advanced button but there is no 'blue/grey area with three rows of letters and symbols'
    I'm not sure anyway if I would be able to upload a photos from my computer. I might have to give it a miss.
    Many thanks
    Mary

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Mary
    I just tried Pam's instructions because I was thinking about uploading a photo. They worked for me. You need to click 'Reply' as if you're answering your own post, then 'Go Advanced'. At the top of the box you'd usually type in, BELOW the one that shows what your post will look like, there's a symbol that looks like a tree in a square - that's what you're looking for.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    Hi Mary
    I just tried Pam's instructions because I was thinking about uploading a photo. They worked for me. You need to click 'Reply' as if you're answering your own post, then 'Go Advanced'. At the top of the box you'd usually type in, BELOW the one that shows what your post will look like, there's a symbol that looks like a tree in a square - that's what you're looking for.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks Squaredancer for confirming that my instructions were relatively simple to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    Thanks Pam
    I've clicked on the Advanced button but there is no 'blue/grey area with three rows of letters and symbols'
    I'm not sure anyway if I would be able to upload a photos from my computer. I might have to give it a miss.
    Many thanks
    Mary
    Mary, I've just done a little more checking. You will (or should) be starting a new thread in the 'Photographs' forum, and therefore using the 'start new thread' button.
    That will automatically give you a 'posting box' with the blue/grey area and its three rows of symbols and numbers above the box. Then you want the sixth symbol from the right on the middle row. Click, and then you should get a dropdown menu which says insert URL.
    This has to be generated by a 'photo-sharing' site such as imgur or Photobucket. 'Tis a long while since I uploaded a photo/image from my computer to either site, but I have done it, and trust me, I am no techie. If I can do then most people can. In fact, just done it again, though I had to put my brain into overdrive! This is a link the photo I uploaded to imgur. It doesn't appear in the post itself (which is probably preferable, but at least you can see it via the link.)
    https://imgur.com/a/36HSLG7

Went to imgur. Signed in to previous account.
    Top left-hand corner there's a green box which says 'new post'. Click.
    Then because I was uploading direct from a file on my computer I clicked 'choose photo/video'. You then get a link to the files on your computer. Find the one you want and click 'attach'.
    Image then goes to the imgur page, where you can give it a name if you want.
    Click 'embed post' (bottom right-hand side).
    Click 'share'.
    Then post it (posts automatically) to your thread in BG.
    However, once you've posted the link (and checked it's working) it is extremely important that you immediately go to your imgur account and sign out otherwise people can see the whole of your account, including username, etc.

Photobucket works in a similar way.

ADDED: Not sure where I got this link from but this might help more than my instructions. https://
    help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/categories/201201803-The-Basics
    (copy-and-paste the line immediately above.)

Pam

Default Including Photographs

Hi Pam and Squaredancer
    Many thanks for all your instructions. I know it sounds as though I am not following these but I am still having problems. I have tried both ways –

In the ‘Photographer’s’ forum I clicked on New Thread. The Screen then showed –
    Blue/Grey area for message.
    Above that, going up -
    Box for the Title
    No symbols or numbers above the box
    Yellow ribbon “Forum” Photographers …”
    Dark red ribbon ‘Post New Thread’
    Orange ribbon “Search for your Military Ancestor ..”
    Yellow ribbon ‘Forum Occupations Photographers ….”

Below the Blue/Grey area –
    Two rows of Icons plus one below ‘No Icon”
    First icon on left of top row is a box with what looks like blue lines. I right clicked on that and the drop down menu was ‘Share Picture, Save Picture, Copy, etc” If I left click on it is just has ‘Post’.

There is no drop down menu which says Insert URL

The second option was as Squaredance suggested –

Back on to this forum
    Clicked on Reply to my own Message
    Clicked on Go Advance
    The screen was then exactly the same as described above.

I see that under “Posting Permissions” that I may not post attachments, that an IMG Code is On and HTML Code is Off – if that has any relevance.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    Hi Pam and Squaredancer
    Many thanks for all your instructions. I know it sounds as though I am not following these but I am still having problems. I have tried both ways –

In the ‘Photographer’s’ forum I clicked on New Thread. The Screen then showed –
    Blue/Grey area for message.
    Above that, going up -
    Box for the Title
    No symbols or numbers above the box
    Yellow ribbon “Forum” Photographers …”
    Dark red ribbon ‘Post New Thread’
    Orange ribbon “Search for your Military Ancestor ..”
    Yellow ribbon ‘Forum Occupations Photographers ….”
    Having looked extremely carefully at the colours on the page I'm going to slightly amend my 'blue/grey area'.

Working inwards -
    You have the black/dark grey background of the page in genera;.
    Then you have a white box with smilies on the right-hand side of the page.
    Then there a grey-y sort of border all round, with a pale blue box in the middle where you type your message.
    In the grey border immediately above the box where you type your message there are three rows of various symbols and letters. Top row begins on left-hand side with a blue box with two letter A's inside it.
    Second row begins with the letter B in bold, and ends with a box which has the letters inside it. Beginning with that box with 'php' count back six 'symbols along that row, and if you stick your cursor over the correct one it should say 'insert image'. That's the one you click, and then should get the downdown menu with 'insert URL'.

Below the Blue/Grey area –
    Two rows of Icons plus one below ‘No Icon”
    First icon on left of top row is a box with what looks like blue lines. I right clicked on that and the drop down menu was ‘Share Picture, Save Picture, Copy, etc” If I left click on it is just has ‘Post’.

There is no drop down menu which says Insert URL.
    I'd forgotten about those icons underneath the message/reply box. Probably because I never use them. But my previous 'instructions' did say 'symbols and letters' not icons.

The second option was as Squaredancer suggested –

Back on to this forum
    Clicked on Reply to my own Message
    Clicked on Go Advance
    The screen was then exactly the same as described above.

I see that under “Posting Permissions” that I may not post attachments, that an IMG Code is On and HTML Code is Off – if that has any relevance.

Mary
    Took me a while to find those 'posting permissions', and mine say exactly the same as yours. But if I was able to post a link then you should also be able to - once you click on the correct symbols. Fingers tightly crossed.

Pam

Default Including photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Having looked extremely carefully at the colours on the page I'm going to slightly amend my 'blue/grey area'.

Working inwards -
    You have the black/dark grey background of the page in genera;.
    Then you have a white box with smilies on the right-hand side of the page.
    Then there a grey-y sort of border all round, with a pale blue box in the middle where you type your message.
    In the grey border immediately above the box where you type your message there are three rows of various symbols and letters. Top row begins on left-hand side with a blue box with two letter A's inside it.
    Second row begins with the letter B in bold, and ends with a box which has the letters inside it. Beginning with that box with 'php' count back six 'symbols along that row, and if you stick your cursor over the correct one it should say 'insert image'. That's the one you click, and then should get the downdown menu with 'insert URL'.

I'd forgotten about those icons underneath the message/reply box. Probably because I never use them. But my previous 'instructions' did say 'symbols and letters' not icons.

Took me a while to find those 'posting permissions', and mine say exactly the same as yours. But if I was able to post a link then you should also be able to - once you click on the correct symbols. Fingers tightly crossed.

Pam

Hi Pam, My screen is obviously different from yours and I cannot understand why
    * I have no white box with smilies on the right-hand side of the page
    * I do not have three rows of various symbols and letters (see my previous post) I have nothing which has a letter B or php etc. anywhere on my screen
    * The icons are the only 'three rows' of anything.

Bottom line is that I do not have those symbols and I guess this is the problem.

Thanks so much for this

Mary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast