Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Albert WINTER - 1847. Wellington

The birth of Albert Winter was registered in Wellington December quarter 1847. Parents William and Ruth.
    His father William died in 1855 and in 1861 Albert, aged 13, butcher's boy, was living with his widowed mother, Ruth, b 1818, and siblings in Nortons Row, Wellington.
    Albert's mother, Ruth, was killed in 1862.
    In February 1868 Albert Winter, labourer, was admitted to Shepton Mallet Gaol charged with theft in Bath. He was acquitted at the Quarter Sessions in April. In July 1868 Albert Winter, 18, butcher, was admitted to Shepton Mallett Gaol, accused of theft in Bath. He was acquitted at the Quarter Sessions in October.
    I can find no record of Albert Winter, born Wellington, nor of Albert Winter, living in Bath area, in 1871. Any suggestions?
    It may be of no relevance, but Albert's twin brothers, registered at birth in the names Josiah and Mark were known as Joseph and James Mark in later life. Did Albert also re-invent himself?

In 1901 and 1911 there was an Albert Winter, born 1848, Wellington, living with Annie Winter, b c 1855,in Islington.Firstly as a Tea Grocer, then a Wardrobe Dealer. Although the couple are described as married, no length of marriage was entered in 1911. If these two men are one and the same, where has he been all this time?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Re 1871, I did wonder, if that was one of the censuses in which prisoners and other people (those in workhouses? can't quite remember) were listed purely by their initials. Think it definitely happened in 1861; not sure about 1871.

Funny you should find that entry in 1911, because I did find what has been transcribed as (Mr) A. Winter, aged 33, born Wellington, living with a (Mrs) A Winter in Chapel Row, Clerkenwell,London in 1881. It's badly written/poor image, census reference RG11/351 folio 68 page 15. Couldn't read his occupation but FMP have transcribed it as 'school keeper'.
    There's a marriage registration for an Albert Winter in Pancras registration district in December quarter 1875 with an Annie Oxley on the same page. Marriage sadly not found on Ancestry's London marriages, so therefore likely to be either a Register Officer or non-confrmist ceremony. If Pancras isn't actually next-door to Holborn (the registration district for Clerkenwell, then it's not that many yards distant. Same with Clerkenwell and Islington - not that far apart.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks, Pam. I think you have cracked it. The year of birth of Mrs A Winter in 1881 is 1855, which is consistent with 1901 and 1911.
    Working from that I have found Albert, 43, and Annie, 36 in 1891, living in Soho. Albert is postman, born Soho, London (!!). Annie is born London. RG12/88/43 page 39. No wonder I could not find him!
    That just leaves 1871. I did wonder if he was in prison, and only recorded with anonymous initials. I will have to think about getting the marriage certificate.