Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Holmes / Keighley

I'm a U.S. descendant of Thomas Holmes who was born in Keighley to Joseph Holmes and Ann Bagshaw in 1838 or 1841.

He moved to the U.S. in the 1860's and died and was buried in New Jersey in 1913.

I'd love to connect with any Holmes or Bagshaw with Keighley roots.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

This looks like your Thomas' birth registration on the GRO index site.
    Thomas Holmes, Mother's maiden name Bagshaw
    GRO Reference June 1/4 1841 registration district Keighley Union volume 23 page 259.

You may not get any replies from other Holmes of Keighley descendants straight away but your interest is now out there for others to pick up on.
    Do you need any help going further back with this family?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the offer! We've done research going back many years, but mainly, I want to connect with living British descendants/cousins.

Any ideas how to accomplish that? I tried AncestryDNA, but there were no results in Europe at all (which I find suspicious). Perhaps the service is not available there?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Start by looking at the census for 1841 and 1851 where hopefully you'll find Thomas at home with his parents and siblings.
    Then bring parents and siblings forward on the 1861, 1871, etc, censuses, to find births, marriages, and deaths. You'll need the GRO Index, mainly transcribed for free on FreeBMD up to 1983, as well as the 'new' Index on the GRO's website which has details missing from parts of the earlier Index. (Age at death before 1866, and mother's maiden name before 1911.) I'll have to post the links when I next have access to my laptop.

Be warned that Holmes can be a common name. Bagshaw is less common in general but could be quite common in the Keighley area. For the Bagshaws you'll need to find Ann's baptism, and then search the parish register for her siblings, and again, find them on the censuses. I've done this successfully with a couple of the siblings of one of my great-grandfathers, though I've not yet tried to contact them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default I'm a Holmes Descendant from Keighley

Hello,

My Holmes side was based in Keighley from the 1500's to late 1800's when my Gr Gr Granddad(William Holmes 1850-1918 died in Bradford. I am on ancestry and My Heritage and have taken tests with them, if you would like to contact me you can on here or my email allendholmes AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk I am really interested in learning about my American ancestry.

Regards

Allen Holmes
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 23-02-2021 at 4:06 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Allen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Being pedantic, I hope you expect to find only American relations and not American ancestry if all your Holmes were based in Keighley (that is unless one of them married someone born iin the US).
    Have you actually connected your Holmes to Thomas' parents, because there's an awful lot of Holmes in Keighley registration district. Five Williams born there in 1850 alone. I'm pleased that I haven't got that lot to sort out, though I might change my mind once I get stuck into my Lincolnshire Holmes.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Pam,

I have some American Holmes links and would love to work it out one day, learning more and more about my family such as the the Holmes/Clapham line, it all rather interesting, I’ve just been looking down my direct route for the last year or so, might be time to start fanning out and learning more

Regards