Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emily Hales

Starting to feel at home

Thank you everyone! I literally CANNOT WAIT to get onto this in the morning.. but it's now 1am so I really had better get some sleep, haha! The adventure shall continue tomorrow!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    A 30th June 1904 birthday would be registered in the Jul - Sept qrt. There's this birth reg. which could be her.

Jul - Sept qrt 1904, Stepney 1c 377, Emily HAILES

ETA: GRO record HAILES, EMILY, MMN BRENAN
    GRO Reference: 1904 S Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 01C Page 377
    Normally I would have said 'brilliant spot, Alma', but there's a death registration for an Emily Hales, less than one year old, June quarter 1905, Poplar registration district. I think the districts are adjacent but can't find a map to prove it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Normally I would have said 'brilliant spot, Alma', but there's a death registration for an Emily Hales, less than one year old, June quarter 1905, Poplar registration district. I think the districts are adjacent but can't find a map to prove it.

Pam
    I think you're right, Pam. I can't find another Emily Hales to fit with a birth of 30th June 1904.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Pam
    That throws a spanner in the works. Stepney and Poplar are both East London so probably is the same person.. My mum says nobody knows much at all about her nan or her parents so I'll go with ordering the marriage cert and see if that can give me some clues!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    There is an Emily DOUGLAS born 30 June 1904 resident at Luton (with 3 closed entries - her children(Margaret, Pearl & Barbara)?) in 1939, a Rose E DOUGLAS is also resident at the same address though is on a later page. Emily is Married but husband not present.
    There are though no Em* HALES births on freebmd for the last 3 quarters of 1904.....
    Can I ask where or how you found this as I can't! I did find Rose E Douglas living in Luton and working as an Engineer inspector, cannot find the others even though I've gone quite a few pages back.

Famous for offering help & advice

Crikey Mitch, you spotted my reply very quickly. I never had time to type my 'added' note before you added the note about Emily's surname changing to Davies.
    Will double-check that 1939 entry you found, but it seems highly likely to be 'our' Emily

Pam
    Hi Pam - the joys of the internet and instant notifications of updates! Apologies if I seemed a bit rushed I was just off to bed!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.s2012 View Post
    Can I ask where or how you found this as I can't! I did find Rose E Douglas living in Luton and working as an Engineer inspector, cannot find the others even though I've gone quite a few pages back.
    I had a problem as I first found Rose E on the image - but not Emily who was only on the transcript on findmypast!

They are both under Schedule 51 which is 845(transcribed as 843 on findmypast) Dunstable Road, Luton M.B. but on separate pages.

Rose is on image 11 of 11 in section 'DPMC' on Ancestry while Emily is on image 5 of the same image set.

Starting to feel at home

Still can't find it! God I'm rubbish.. I don't have access to FMP so looking on Ancestry atm. I have had a bit of a break through.. my mum has done some sorting out and has found a marriage cert for Emily and her second husband George plus both their death certs.. nice going mum!
    So Emily was born on 30 June 1901 not 1904 in Islington. (still can't find a record that matches but I'll keep looking) on marriage cert it says her father is a frederick hales.
    George Davies is a bit of a mystery as his parents are listed as John Whittingham and Fanny Woods so I don't know where the surname Davies came from?
    Be another something to look into once I have figured Emily out.. this is so much fun!
    *I do wish my mum had told me she had paperwork still at least she's found it now!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.s2012 View Post
    Still can't find it! God I'm rubbish.. I don't have access to FMP so looking on Ancestry atm.
    If it's any consolation - you and me, both. Will look further to try and find exactly what Ancestry have indexed Emily under. In the meantim, go to Rose's entry.
    Scroll down the page until you have a grey area at the bottom of the image and can clearly see where it says 11 of 11. Stick your cursor over the first 11 and change it to 5.
    Then click the 'go' button.
    That should take you to the page with Emily on it. About twelve lines from the bottom, with Douglas crossed out, and Davies written above it.

I have had a bit of a break through.. my mum has done some sorting out and has found a marriage cert for Emily and her second husband George plus both their death certs.. nice going mum!
    So Emily was born on 30 June 1901 not 1904 in Islington. (still can't find a record that matches but I'll keep looking) on marriage cert it says her father is a frederick hales.
    George Davies is a bit of a mystery as his parents are listed as John Whittingham and Fanny Woods so I don't know where the surname Davies came from?
    Be another something to look into once I have figured Emily out.. this is so much fun!
    *I do wish my mum had told me she had paperwork still at least she's found it now!
    Well done, mum. (And a very good reason why you should never nag your mum to throw away 'all that old tat'. )
    One query re Emily's death certificate (and George's). Who were the informants? Obviously accuracy of details on a death certificate as only as good as the informant's knowledge of the deceased. (Or sometimes, what the deceased told the informant in the way of truth or lies!)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

I found it! It was transcribed as Lemily Dougles so that's why I was having trouble finding it!
    My mum is going to send me the certificates over so I can have look myself! Whoop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast