Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emily Hales

Starting to feel at home

Default Emily Hales

I'm trying to find my great grandmother Emily Hales... all I know is that she was born around 1905, probably in the London area. She married Herbert Edward Douglas in 1921 and they had six daughters, Rose, Mary, Dorothy, Margaret, Pearl and Barbara (Barbara being my nan).
    No clue as to her her parents were or when she died?
    So I know my next step is to order a marriage cert and see if there is any information on that but before I do I wondered if there is anything else I can do online, anything I might have missed?
    Any advice welcome!

Hi
    I thought I would find them in the 1939 register which would give us a birth date for both of them but so far no luck.
    I did look on FreeBMD for the children's births and there are records for Rose, Mary, Margaret,Pearl and Barbara but none for a Dorothy Douglas mmn Hales until 1970. Are you certain there was a daughter Dorothy to this couple?
    Others may have more luck finding them on the 1939 register.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is an earlier thread about this family albeit about the 6 sisters:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ht=Emily+hales

However, I think that what proves is that you do have to go down the route of buying the marriage certificate because then you will know her father's name and occupation and with that you may find them in the 1911 census.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There is an earlier thread about this family albeit about the 6 sisters:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ht=Emily+hales

However, I think that what proves is that you do have to go down the route of buying the marriage certificate because then you will know her father's name and occupation and with that you may find them in the 1911 census.
    Ahh I couldn't remember if I had posted about this before, I've had a bit of a break from the family tree stuff and only just returning and trying to catch up! I'll have to go down the marriage cert route I think then. Might give me some more clues as no one in my family seems to know.
    Dorothy is a bit of a mystery as I can also find no record of her but my mum remembers that my nan had a sister Dolly as well as Pearl, Margaret and Rose so I don't know where she sprung from! Currently trying to trace her birth details but no joy so far.

Famous for offering help & advice

There is an Emily DOUGLAS born 30 June 1904 resident at Luton (with 3 closed entries - her children(Margaret, Pearl & Barbara)?) in 1939, a Rose E DOUGLAS is also resident at the same address though is on a later page. Emily is Married but husband not present.
    There are though no Em* HALES births on freebmd for the last 3 quarters of 1904.....

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    There is an Emily DOUGLAS born 30 June 1904 resident at Luton (with 3 closed entries - her children(Margaret, Pearl & Barbara)?) in 1939, a Rose E DOUGLAS is also resident at the same address though is on a later page. Emily is Married but husband not present.
    There are though no Em* HALES births on freebmd for the last 3 quarters of 1904.....
    oh wonderful.. yes this must be her!! Oh I have a dob now, that's brilliant! Shame there still doesn't seem to be a birth record but I'll order the marriage cert and see what that says.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The plot thickens.

ADDED: In view of Mitch's earlier post re the 1939 Register, you might want to ignore what I've written about it. All my research and checking took me a while.

As others have said, the mystery is why Herbert, Emily and children are nowhere to be found in the 1939 Register.
    The Electoral Registers doe 1839 were published, and came into operation for a year, on 15 October 1939. As it would have taken some time to get the registers printed, one assumes that the family would have been living in Miranda Road by at least the 15 September 1939, so is it possible that they were moving house on/about 3 September then the 1939 Register was taken, and everyone assumed that they were listed at the other address?

In 1946 Emily Douglas a;ong with a Louisa Douglas, Dorothy Coxhill and Frederick Coxhill are still living at 6 Miranda Road. Don't get excited about Dorothy. Before she married Fred in 1936 she was Dorothy Garnham.
    I did scratch my head over Louisa, but then remembered that some of the girls had L as a middle initial.

It would appear that Emily re-married. The 1948 Electoral Roll shows an Emily and George Davies living at 6 Miranda Road, along with Fred and Dorothy Coxhill.
    That would fit a marriage registration for an Emily Douglas and a George A Davies, September quarter 1946, Islington registration district.
    Emily and George are not at 6 Miranda Road in 1947, but Louisa Douglas is.

I've tried searching in 1939 for other people who, like the Douglas'. were living in Beaumont Road, N.19 in 1938. Found a couple, but they weren't in Beaumont Road. Beaumont Road doesn't come up as an address in the 1939 Register on FMP.

I found a possible baptism for Herbert Edward Douglas on Ancestry's London baptisms. Parents Willam and Louisa, baptised in January 1905, date of birth given as 8 Jan 1905, which would fit a birth registered March quarter 1905 Islington registration district. (Just realised that mother's name of Louisa could account for all the middle initial L in the girls' names.)

That marriage certificate of Emily and Herbert is an absolute necessity, though as they were barely 16 I have a feeling that there might be a few lies told on it. Order from
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The plot thickens.

As others have said, the mystery is why Herbert, Emily and children are nowhere to be found in the 1939 Register.

Pam
    Pam, I have found Emily and probably her daughters on the 1939 - see post #5. She is under 'DOUGLAS' later(dated 5.9.1944)she was using 'DAVIES' which tallies with your 1946 marriage & 1948 Electoral Register.

Mitch

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Crikey Mitch, you spotted my reply very quickly. I never had time to type my 'added' note before you added the note about Emily's surname changing to Davies.
    Will double-check that 1939 entry you found, but it seems highly likely to be 'our' Emily

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A 30th June 1904 birthday would be registered in the Jul - Sept qrt. There's this birth reg. which could be her.

Jul - Sept qrt 1904, Stepney 1c 377, Emily HAILES

ETA: GRO record HAILES, EMILY, MMN BRENAN
    GRO Reference: 1904 S Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 01C Page 377
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast