Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emily Hales

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I knew if I looked hard and long enough I'd find Emily indexed on Ancestry.

I also know that Ancestry's indexing can be classed as disgraceful at times, and this is certainly one of them. I will admit that Emily's Douglas surname could be open to misinterpretation because the 'g' goes below the line (though I assume that the indexing is done from viewing the whole page, not just the parts we can see) but her name is clearly written as Emily, not the Lemily Ancestry have indexed her as. Surname indexed as Dougles.

I noticed that Emily is actually number 2 in the household, number one being a Laurence Wallis, born in 1888. Laurence is clearly, as (to my mind) is Wallis. However, Ancestry have managed to mangle this to Mollis. Searching for a Laurence, born in 1888, and living in Luton, was how I found Emily.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

It's so difficult at times.. but I love it.. man if only I could do this for a living, I would be a happy woman!

Starting to feel at home

Hit another dead end.. Managed to get Emily's death and marriage cert for her 2nd marriage George. Death cert says her dob was 30 June 1901.her father according to her marriage cert is a Frederick Hales, occ Leather something (can't make out the second word). Now I'm stuck. I have found a Hales family on the 1911 census, the father is Frederick and there is a daughter Rose Emily born in 1900 so thinking this maybe could be them? Frederick's occupation is that of a railway porter though so might not be the same man? Although I appreciate people did change their occupations.
    My mum said she heard a story that Emily was given up by her mother and went into a home but we don't know if this was true? I wouldn't even know where to start searching to back this up?

Famous for offering help & advice

I also looked at the Rose Emily born 1900 Bethnal Green and noted her fathers occupation was wrong. There is also a Rose E HALES marriage in 1930 in the Bethnal Green district which to me makes her NOT yours.....

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    I also looked at the Rose Emily born 1900 Bethnal Green and noted her fathers occupation was wrong. There is also a Rose E HALES marriage in 1930 in the Bethnal Green district which to me makes her NOT yours.....
    Think you are right. Having looked into it more I'm not sure 1901 was the correct year of birth. It says 1904 on the 1939 register and her age on her marriage certificate in 1946 is 42, which would make her birthyear 1904. There is an Emily Hailes born in Stepney in 1904 (I think someone on here pointed that out earlier) but no mothers maiden name unfortunately =(

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.s2012 View Post
    Think you are right. Having looked into it more I'm not sure 1901 was the correct year of birth. It says 1904 on the 1939 register and her age on her marriage certificate in 1946 is 42, which would make her birthyear 1904. There is an Emily Hailes born in Stepney in 1904 (I think someone on here pointed that out earlier) but no mothers maiden name unfortunately =(
    The Emily Hailes born Stepney 1904 has the MMN Brenan according to the GRO website.

Famous for offering help & advice

And there is a Charles HAILS marrying a Mary Jane BRENNAN at Stepney in 1893. So Father doesn't match Rose Emily's Marriage Certificate of Frederick.....

Charles & Mary Jane have children: Jane(1897), Emily(1904) & Charlie(1906) if the Father is wrong on the Marriage Certificate?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    The Emily Hailes born Stepney 1904 has the MMN Brenan according to the GRO website.
    You know I did not even look on GRO.. Haha still learning! So either it's a completely different Emily or she may have got her fathers name wrong on her marriage cert.. I might look into this Hales family a bit more and see if I can make anything fit.. Charles may have been a Frederick.. People seemed to change their names at the drop of a hat back then!
    In the meantime I might need to part with some cash and order her first marriage cert to Herbert.. See what that has as fathers name, might shed some light!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123