HFNotts

Default Sure Shield Sea Services medal 1914-1919

I am aware that this medal is connected with a pageant on the Thames of 4th August 1919. Can anyone please advise whether the medal was awarded only to those personnel taking part in the pageant or to all naval people who served during the war? In addition any information about the type of vessels involved in the pageant or the names of those vessels would be most useful. The medal is 52mm, impressive in appearance and made of silver.

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    I haven't as yet found anything relating to a pageant or anything on why it was awarded but this site says you may have a very rare object.
    This article contains the memories of a woman who's grandfather was awarded the medal for his work transporting ammunition and supplies in his ship during WW1.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

HFNotts

Thank you. I have seen that article and a couple of years ago completed research and wrote two lengthy reports for GCR about the railway company's shipping interests. As well as the trans-continental services they owned the Humber Ferries (ceased when the Humber Bridge opened) and a large proportion of Grimsby's fishing fleet. GCR developed Grimsby's docks and later the dock complex at Immingham.
    There are IWM images showing the Thames pageant in August 1919 but nothing at IWM that I have found relating to the award of the medal.
    I don't own the medal,a colleagye owns it awarded to her grandfather, but I have seen it. It is very impressive in size, weight and design. I'm trying to find as much as I can about its awarding for her.
    I am fairly certain the medal was awarded for participation in the pageant. I am sure it was not awarded as a result of service during the war. Just seeking definite proof. I think a visit to TNA might be required.