Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default DNA match to my adoptive Mother

I'm friends with a neighbour up the road. She was stunned on Thursday to discover that her Brother and I were DNA matches - 10cM over 1 segment. She herself shares a match with a lady in my adoptive Mothers tree - but not with my adoptive Mother herself.
    I've been round to see my neighbour today to compare matches. Whilst their I noticed I had some new DNA matches - including one to my Adoptive Mother of 7cM over 1 segment making her a 5th-8th Cousin(as well as my Mum)!
    To say we are stunned/shocked is putting it mildly. I was adopted from a different part of the Country as in the 1970s that was done on purpose to stop the chance of meetings etc occurring.
    I now need to find the link between myself & my adoptive Mum - which could be in Norfolk if it is from my Natural Mothers side. If on my Natural Fathers side I haven't a clue........

Oh wow Mitch.
    I finally gave in and did my DNA recently to which my husband asked "Are you ready for any surprises." My confident answer was "Yes" but reading about your experience who knows.
    You will be a very busy person over the next few weeks/months trying to find a connection but with the relationship so far back and involving ancestors living in different parts of the country it will be an intriguing and frustrating search to find where they interconnect.
    Good luck with the hunt and do keep us up to date with it.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Well I've spent the week with Ancestry, taking the surnames of my Mothers direct ancestors, putting them to my DNA matches, then putting those DNA matches to see if my Adoptive Mother has them. Net result 0!. With 27k & 46K matches each I thought Mum and me might share another match to give me a clue. I have a couple of surnames in Derbyshire that are right area but that's it & really don't know where to go from here without anymore DNA matches.
    Suggestions anyone? Would it be worth me trying MyHeritage or another site for matches?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    I'm friends with a neighbour up the road. She was stunned on Thursday to discover that her Brother and I were DNA matches - 10cM over 1 segment. She herself shares a match with a lady in my adoptive Mothers tree - but not with my adoptive Mother herself.
    I've been round to see my neighbour today to compare matches. Whilst their I noticed I had some new DNA matches - including one to my Adoptive Mother of 7cM over 1 segment making her a 5th-8th Cousin(as well as my Mum)!
    To say we are stunned/shocked is putting it mildly. I was adopted from a different part of the Country as in the 1970s that was done on purpose to stop the chance of meetings etc occurring.
    I now need to find the link between myself & my adoptive Mum - which could be in Norfolk if it is from my Natural Mothers side. If on my Natural Fathers side I haven't a clue........
    I would urge caution about reading anything into a match of 5 cM over 1 segment or even 10 cM over 1 segment such matches are more often than not false matches, simple common DNA that occurs in the vast population of the region.

That is not to same they are always false matches.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

I have just had a DNA match come forward who has a match to both me AND my Mum - the first one. They are both low 7+11Cm over 1 Segment matches but better than nothing. He has a huge tree on Ancestry that appears to be part of a place name study. I'm lost. Have emailed him but it's the middle of the night in Tasmania now....... updates to follow......

Loves to help with queries

Hey,

Don't know where you are at this point of your search - I discovered my biological father using GEDMATCH - that was a surprise because a) I thought he was someone else and b) not actually alive.

Good luck!

Thanks biggirlsblouse.

My previous posting - my Ancestry contact never elicited a reply from Tasmania - hes been online so presumably just another time waster. So annoying!

I honestly don't know why people bother doing the test and posting the results in the public domain if they do not want to make contact with others. My best match is a 211 cm over 13 segments so I contacted them back in February and then again in June and still no reply. Their tree is unlinked so no help there. I can empathise with your frustration Mitch.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Well tonight is the closest I've got - I have relatives from the two trees living together!
    My Adoptive Mothers 2xGreatGrand Uncle is resident in the home of my Birth Mothers 3xGreatGrand Uncles Widow on the 1871 census in Great Ryburgh, Norfolk. Still not got any common surnames but feel I might somehow be getting closer - just needing to get further back!

Never did get a reply from the Australian DNA match!!

Oh Mitch you are making my head spin just telling us about the relationships between your natural and adoptive mother but well done you for sticking with it.
    I am trying to find the father of my great grandfather but I get so muddled I stop from a lack of concentration and frustration. His mother had 4 children to different father's and wouldn't you know it my great grandfather is the eldest and the only one who hasn't any clues to his paternity.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast