BarbaraK

Default London Apprenticeship Abstracts 1442-1850

Hello all - I have several apprenticeship transcriptions from the above from Find My Past. They are quite useful but they all state "Apprentice Year" and a year date. I have asked FMP if they can tell me what the year date denotes i.e. is it the beginning or end of the apprentice period or is it just the year book record of payment of fees. I received a quick reply but nothing that answered my query. If anyone could enlighten me on this I would be most grateful.
    Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

I've just had a look at one of these records (picked at random) and from the information given, it looks as though the date will be the start of the apprenticeship. However, there are two other sets of records which would help to confirm this (or not).

1. City of London Freedom records - these show when apprentices were admitted to membership of one of the Guilds or Companies, ie at the end of their apprenticeship. If the indenture survives, this will show the start date.

2. Board of Stamps registers of duty paid (TNA class IR1) - the duty wasn't necessarily paid at the start of an apprenticeship, but the record also gives the date and length of indenture.

Both the above are at Ancestry - I'm not sure if they're at FMP as well.

BarbaraK

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I've just had a look at one of these records (picked at random) and from the information given, it looks as though the date will be the start of the apprenticeship. However, there are two other sets of records which would help to confirm this (or not).

1. City of London Freedom records - these show when apprentices were admitted to membership of one of the Guilds or Companies, ie at the end of their apprenticeship. If the indenture survives, this will show the start date.

2. Board of Stamps registers of duty paid (TNA class IR1) - the duty wasn't necessarily paid at the start of an apprenticeship, but the record also gives the date and length of indenture.

Both the above are at Ancestry - I'm not sure if they're at FMP as well.
    QUOTE=arthurk;677767 Thanks so much arthurk for your help and the information on further records. I will get going on further research into the records you suggest. Cheers Barbara

BarbaraK

Just another big thank you to arthurk . Between FMP and Ancestry Apprenticeship and Citizenship records I found so much helpful and personal information on one line of my ancestors - so far I'm back to 1600s. The details helped me to correctly place them in my tree as there are so many with the same names.Barbara