Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

No, Elijah and Mary Jane were living in Derby at that time with their daughter Mary Elizabeth.
    By 1851 they are at Norton street in Birmingham. Mary Jane gives her place of birth as "open sea" on this census.

Starting to feel at home

I found the family in Norton Street Birmingham in 1851.
    Elijah died in the late 1850's and Mary Jane married Samuel George and is with him in Birmingham in 1871.
    One thing I haven't done is get that certificate which will confirm her father's name and whether he was still alive. I guess I just got focused on Ralph a d forgot the basics.

Starting to feel at home

Hi, His name was Henson Lockwood and his mother Was Martha Ludford (born in Warwickshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury125 View Post
    Elijah died in the late 1850's
    Leicester Chronicle, 10 Dec 1853
    DEATHS
    In the month of September last, at St. Brisks' on the Volga, Russia, after a short illness, Mr Elijah L Lockwood, formerly of this town.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Sorry, I misremembered his dates.
    Wow, Thanks for this I knew he was a mechanic but this might mean he worked with ships. Maybe this is how he met Mary Jane because he knew Ralph somehow.
    Is the Leicester Chronicle available online?
    Once again
    Many Thanks.

Starting to feel at home

Have had a good look on Google but cannot find a place called St Brisks on the Volga river.
    I thought it might be a ship but HMS Brisk was in the Americas in 1853, there was no HMS Volga. I thought it could have been a military base or a hospital but there is no mention of it. Nevertheless it would explain why I never found Elijah's death in the UK. Perhaps as a mechanic he was working out there in some Capacity. As the Crimean war began in that area a month after his death I assumed he was connected to the Navy or the army but It's time I learned not to assume.

Many thanks for everyone who helped on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12