Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Tracing records of railway signalman 1901

Hi - I am trying to track down the work record for my Grandfather, William Beddoes, born in Shrewsbury in 1872. According to Census Records in 1901 he was a Railway signalman in St Peter's Hereford. From census 1911 we learn that he was a Railway Signalman living in Railway Terrace Craven Arms. He then moved to Princes Street Wellington and on the 1939 record he was a Retired Signalman. I am a member of Ancestry but cannot find any Railway record for him on the Ancestry site. I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer. Thanks Liz Edwards

Hi
    This is the National Archives guide to what records are available or not.
    Having done a quick read it looks as if it is going to be very difficult to find a record for William if you do not know which company he worked for.
    I did do a quick search for your William on ancestry and got no results until I left out his date of birth and used a wildcard for his surname Beddo*. The results did not include any born anywhere near 1872.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

He's listed on the Trade Union records as being admitted 14 Feb 1915 aged 42, a signalman for GW & (I think) LNW, and if I've followed the right line he was superannuated 6 Jul 1938 £23 old age pension but is in the column for 'excluded' 12/40, which I assume to be Dec 1940. No idea what this means!

Added: If you google Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway you should find information about it becoming joint stock of the Great Western and London & North Western Railways.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Tracing records of railway signalman 1901

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    He's listed on the Trade Union records as being admitted 14 Feb 1915 aged 42, a signalman for GW & (I think) LNW, and if I've followed the right line he was superannuated 6 Jul 1938 £23 old age pension but is in the column for 'excluded' 12/40, which I assume to be Dec 1940. No idea what this means!

Added: If you google Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway you should find information about it becoming joint stock of the Great Western and London & North Western Railways.
    Thanks - I'd almost given up hope of tracing him. I can now look into records for Shrews and Hereford Railway. Thanks again Liz