Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Robert Anderson m Margaret Routlah? 1794

Hi, I am new to ancestry.

My late aunt gave me boxes and boxes, of painstakingly researched, family tree info mostly done in the 1980s. Now I have some spare time, instead of it sitting collecting dust in my loft, I have decided to put it on line. Now, with the internet much more advanced, I was hoping to solve one of her brick walls and wondered if you kind people could give me some advice/point me in the right direction.

I am looking for the name of my 4 x Grandmother. She married my 4 x Grandfather Robert Anderson, I believe he was born in Sandsend in the North Riding of Yorkshire in 1774.
    I have a marriage date of 10 Aug 1794 in Guisborough also NR of Yorkshire. I am unable to find the source of this information provided by my aunt. She has a ? by the name of Routlah and I have established that Routlah is not a surname anywhere in the world. I am quite certain it is an incorrect transcript, but from where? I think it is more likely to be something like Routley, but having seen some of those old documents, I guess it may not even begin with R I know she existed, she gave birth to 9 children!

Someone else with her in their family tree has quoted a source on line for the same information but with no image, so I can't read it for myself it is : Source Citation for England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 FHL Film Number 919061

My question is three fold 1) where would I look for Robert Anderson's marriage certificate?
    2) Where can I find information on FHL 919061? Lastly does anyone have an idea what the correct transcript of 'Routlah' might be?
    Thanks Chris

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissyand View Post
    I have a marriage date of 10 Aug 1794 in Guisborough also NR of Yorkshire. I am unable to find the source of this information provided by my aunt. She has a ? by the name of Routlah and I have established that Routlah is not a surname anywhere in the world. I am quite certain it is an incorrect transcript, but from where? I think it is more likely to be something like Routley, but having seen some of those old documents, I guess it may not even begin with R I know she existed, she gave birth to 9 children!

Someone else with her in their family tree has quoted a source on line for the same information but with no image, so I can't read it for myself it is : Source Citation for England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 FHL Film Number 919061

My question is three fold 1) where would I look for Robert Anderson's marriage certificate?
    2) Where can I find information on FHL 919061? Lastly does anyone have an idea what the correct transcript of 'Routlah' might be?
    Thanks Chris
    Hello Chris,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Your aunt seems to have done a very good job of recording her sources. The source of the record is FHL 919061, and is the number of the film on which the PRs for Guisborough can be found.
    The actual images should be available to view at an LDS FHC (Church of Latter-day Saints Family History Centre.
    https://www.familysearch.org/help/fhcenters/locations/
    Stick 'Yorkshire, England' into the search box and enlarge the map as required. Click on the name of a centre near you for details of opening times, etc. It's usually a good idea to book a computer before you visit.

To find out exactly which records are on a particular film
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog
    Click on film/fiche number, then enter the number in the box which appears. Sometimes it's PRs, sometimes only BTs; sometimes only marriages, etc, so just read it all carefully.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

fmp has the image of the marriage entry in the Bishops Transcripts and the name is definitely written Routlah.

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

These records are also available on Findmypast under "Yorkshire Marriages".

However, for some unknown reason this particular marriage is not catalogued in the search index BUT it can be found by entering only the year and the place and then selecting one of the other marriages that comes up in the results box, and then going to the original parish register, not the transcription. Once there scroll to page 48 and there you wiĺl find the Banns and the record of Robert Andersons marriage to Margaret Routlah, or at least that is how I would transcribe the handwriting.

This is the only "marriage certificate " that you will find. The sort that you might recognise today listing the names of the father's of the couple did not come into being until 1837.

Were several of their children baptised in Lythe?

My reason for asking is because when I was looking for the baptisms there were several in Lythe with parents Robert and Margaret.

Also there is a burial in Lythe 1819 for a Margaret Anderson, born 1769

There is a birth for a Peggy Ridley in Lythe 1770 parents Francis and Mary.

Depending on local accent and the literacy of the person writing the name down Routlah could possibly be Ridley.

Emeltee

Wow, thank you ladies I did not expect such valuable answers so quickly. Pam I had no idea what that FHL number was. So I can go to my nearest Latter Day Saints Family History Centre and possibly/probably review the marriage certificate there? I had no idea they even existed, I have a lot to learn.

Emeltee and Megan: will this be the same information that I can view on Find my Past? I guess I will have sign up to view it.

Emeltee: Yes the burial in Lythe 1819 for a Margaret Anderson, born 1769 is my grandmother x4. Never thought of Peggy, but the birth year is wrong as Margaret was born in 1769. However I bet the name is something like Ridley.

I will crack this, with you invaluable help

The age given at death is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it. Many death ages are a few years out. I wouldn't disregard Peggy Ridley just because she was baptised in 1770 and not 1769.

Regarding viewing images on fmp, many libraries have free access to both Ancestry and fmp. It is worth checking at either your local library or maybe a larger one in your local town.

Emeltee

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    The age given at death is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it. Many death ages are a few years out. I wouldn't disregard Peggy Ridley just because she was baptised in 1770 and not 1769.

Regarding viewing images on fmp, many libraries have free access to both Ancestry and fmp. It is worth checking at either your local library or maybe a larger one in your local town.

Emeltee
    Thanks emetee

Brick wall demolition expert!

The information that Family Search has been garnered by their members from the same records that Findmypast has. It's just that they did it many years earlier!

Thank you too Megan, I understand now. I couldn't rest until I saw it myself though

So I paid £8.95, yep, I have to agree, the handwriting is very good on this one and it doesn't look like anything else but Routlah, just there is no one else now, or then, with that surname. I see she signed her name with X so couldn't read and write I expect so she wouldn't know if it was wrong on the register. This is so bugging me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast