Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Herbert Campbell GULLAND born Scotland 1862

This was the original entry I found regardiing Herbert and his family.

Westminster, St Mary, Bryanson Square
    Page 15, entry 108
    Baptism 22 October 1910
    Olivia Alice Mary GULLAND, daughter of Herbert Campbell and Mabel Anna Mary. Abode, Shanghai father's occupation banker. Olivia born 14 September 1910.
    Her birth was registered in September quarter Bromley (Kent) registration district. Mother's maiden name Simson.

An earlier birth with mmn of Simson is for Herbert Miles GULLAND, registered December quarter 1901 Lewisham registration district.
    Baby Herbert was baptised 15 December 1901 at Holy Trnity, Eltham. Page number 70 entry number 556.
    Parents Herbert Campbell and Mabel Anna Mary. Abode Kidbrook, father's occupation banker.

Herbert senior's birth registration is on Scotlands People, in 1862 Wemyss registration district.

In 1871 he's a pupil at a school in Wolston run by Arther Hammerton and his sister Maria. Herbert is aged 8, born Wemyss, Scotland, Census reference RG10/3183 folio 46 page 20.

Helpfully, in 1881, he's living with mother Lucy, a widow, aged 66, born Hammersmith, and three elder siblings, all born Scotland, in Kidbrook(e), which is in Woolwich registration district. Census reference RG11/741 folio 94 page 27.

Herbert senior then disappears until 1911 when he, his wife Mabel, and two of their three children are living with Mabel's parents in Montagu Square, Marylebone. Census reference RG14/546 SN173
    Derriick Gulland, aged 7, was born in Yokohama, Japan.

Herbert senior's death is registered in Southampton registration district in June quarter 1932, Aged 68.

Mabel is living with son Herbert Miles Gulland in the 1939 Register in Ovington Square, Kensington. Her death is registered in March quarter 1942, Kensington registration district.
    Derrick is living with wife Nancy in Wetherby Gardens, Kensington in 1939.

Herbert senior made several transatlantic crossings in the 1920s.

Apart from her birth registration, baptism, and 1911 census entry, I can't find anything more about Olivia.

Derrick was married in 1928, died in 1974, probate proved 1976.

I haven't been ale to find a marriage for either Herbert Campell GULLAND and Mabel Anna Maria SIMSON, let alone one between them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I wonder whether they married abroad? I wonder whether they married abroad? From what you say, it looks as though they were not short of money, and yet I can't find a marriage announcement even if I just search the surnames and don't include forenames.
    The same surname-limited search without even specifying a country turned up not hit on FamilySearch (which is very unusual). Changing to Simpson turned up entries for Charles Joseph G (married Annie Evangeline Simpson 1870) and John G (Married Margaret Simpson).

Did you notice the 1907 passenger list entry for the Empress of Ireland for Herbert Gulland, banker of Fife aged 45, his wife M Gulland (aged 30)and 2 children (5 and 3). The ship is headed for Quebec but their final destination is "Shanghai". Entry from register shown on FamilySearch.

According to his probate entry, he left 17672 pounds.

According to the Woolwich Gazette, Mr and Mrs Herbert Gulland gave cut glass water jugs and tumblers at the enormous wedding of Mildren Jackson and Alexander Nuttall in Plumstead, 1906.

Thanks for the extra thoughts and info, Lesley.
    Never thought to try FamilySearch for anything, and I plead guilty to not listing all the details of the various transatlantic crossings complete with fellow passengers.
    I did check the GRO's overseas BMD'S Index, but no marriage there, although IIRC Derrick's birth registration was there.

I also haven't checked electoral rolls in the search for Olivia. She would be a bit too young to travel to the US with her dad and stay there by herself in the 1920s. Just realised that the baptism register gave a date of birth for her. Might check out the 1939 Register for people born on that date.

Pam

Further searching via the family trees on Ancestry reveals that Olivia's death was registered in June quarter 1971 Kensington registration district. Surname Edsberg.
    There was a son, now deceased, born in 1938, Chelsea registration district.
    No sign of any Edsbergs in 1939 Register.

There is a death registration in the GRO Overseas Index, and that led me Jorgen Edsberg on the CWGC site. He actually died in 1946. Service number 135758. Died 21 April 1946. 100P.D.G. T.C.C. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Repatriated to Denmark.

There's a couple of entries for Jorgen on FMP which have him flying to the US. One, with spidery 'writing' says he's married, in the RAF, and has flown to the US 21 times previously delivering aircraft. Says he's 31, born Copenhagen, and that final destination (permanent residence) is Montreal.
    Nothing useful about him on FamilySearch.
    And nothing to actually link him to Olivia Galland. (Short of buying the birth certificate of the son born in 1938, which I'm not doing.)

Pam