obdavies

Default Coroner's Reports

Hi I’m looking for some advice. I have two direct relatives, John Ayerst, my 2xgreat grandfather, and William ‘James’ Watson, my 3xgreat grandfather and father-in-law of John Ayerst who both died as a result of ‘accidents’ aboard ships which resulted in Coroner’s Reports.

John Ayerst aged 45 a "seaman of the brig Concord" found in "the forecastle of the brig Concord" having died of "Natural suddenly of Apoplexy" aboard that ship on the 20 December 1862 - The death was certified by William Carter, the Coroner for Surrey at an inquest on the 23 December 1862.

William Watson died of mortification following compound fracture of the left leg from being struck by a piece of raw timber launched on board ship the "Saud" in the East India Docks at Blackwall on the 15th October 1845. The Informer was the Coroner for Kent Greenwich, the name is difficult to read but appears to be Jim Caillon.

I wish to obtain both Coroner’s Reports if possible to obtain more detail than is provided in their death certificates. Any advice how I might obtain them?
    Last edited by obdavies; 09-02-2020 at 1:39 PM. Reason: adjusted relationship

Hi
    Go to The National Archives site here click on the Red menu button then on the A-Z index which is in the 3rd column fromthe left. Next click on C which gives you a choice of subjects to click on. You, of course need Coroners. Just follow through from there. No records are available online.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

obdavies

Thanks Christanel, Ill try that tomorrow.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you looked for any newspaper reports? I found an extensive report regarding a suicide in my family there.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

The LMA Research Guide sums up your problem

Coroners’ records were regarded as the personal property of the coroner and on the death of a coroner records were liable to be destroyed. From 1921 the Public Record Office required all surviving records dating from before 1875 to be retained permanently, but advised that more recent records need only be kept for 15 years.

I would try the online catalogues of the Surrey History Centre and Kent Archives and search for coroners' records.

As Pam mentioned, newspapers may be the best place to look.

The British Newspaper Archive is available free of charge at Middlesbrough Libraries.