Thread: Two marriages?

P. Copeland

Default Two marriages?

We have some confusion over when my husband’s maternal gr. Grandfather married. I have a copy of a marriage certificate showing that George Bennett and Margaret Anten Carr married on Sept. 2, 1883 at Christchurch, Battersea, Surrey.

Recently I discovered an earlier marriage for them of October 19, 1873 at St. Mary’s Lambeth, Surrey, England. As well I found a baptism on May 10, 1875 for their son George Carr Bennett at St. Peter, Vauxhall, Surrey. Unfortunately it appears their son died soon after.

How is it there are two marriages for this couple?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

If I have this correctly, the first dates are for Banns. But they never married maybe.

(Unless some dimwit clerk wrote the wrong year)..

Dates for Banns are 19th & 26th Oct, and 2nd November. All in 1873.

They married on the second date you provided.2nd Sept. 1883.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Those dates are Sundays in 1873, but would have been Thursdays if it was 1883. Banns are called on Sunday, so it looks like 1873 is right.
    B

Reputation beyond repute

As pointed out above, you are looking at banns and not marriages. You can easily confirm the position from the GRO index - FreeBMD list lists only the one marriage for the couple.

P. Copeland

Default Two marriages

[QUOTE=stepives;677591]If I have this correctly, the first dates are for Banns. But they never married maybe.]

Banns! I never thought of that. Now I wonder why they waited so long to marry. They had a son in 1875 and appear in the 1881 census as a married couple.

Many thanks for your suggestion!

Pat

P. Copeland

Many thanks for your help!

P. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    As pointed out above, you are looking at banns and not marriages. You can easily confirm the position from the GRO index - FreeBMD list lists only the one marriage for the couple.
    I did check FreeBMD and didn't see anything for 1873 so didn't understand what was going on. Banns never occurred to me. Don't know why they waited so long to marry.

Thank you for your help!

Pat