Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Is searching Jones hopeless?

I'm struggling with a family - Jones!

Ellis Powell Jones married Rosilda Carr on 1st April 1836 in Manchester Cathedral in Manchester, Lancashire. Ellis was a widower of the parish and working as a bookkeeper. Rosilda was recorded as Hilday Carr and a widow of the parish.

Ellis' previous marriage was 29th July 1821 in Manchester Cathedral to Eleanor Evans - bachelor and spinster. I can't find anything more about Eleanor.

Ellis and Rosilda are in the 1841 census in Deansgate, Manchester with Ellis' child (Benjamin Powell Jones) from his first marriage and his daughter (Mary Ann) from his marriage to Rosilda. I can't make out Ellis' occupation (although it may be 'overlooker') nor the occupation of the chap above them who may or may not be in the same household and head of the household?

Mary Ann Jones was baptised on 3rd September 1837 in the Parish Church of Manchester. Ellis Powell Jones and Rosilda are noted as her parents although Rosilda’s name is recorded as ‘Roschilldey’ Jones.

There are two possible death records for Ellis in Manchester. One aged 39 and the second aged 49. I tend to favour the older man - for no particular reason except that it ties in with the 1841 census.

I can't find any sign of Rosilda/Hilday etc. in the 1851 or 1861 census nor any death records with the name of Rosilda Jones.

Is this hopeless research? Is there any chance of more detail with Jones and Evans and Carr with a confusing/changing first name?

Super Moderator

There is a birth record for a Rosilda Carr in 1857 - Salford. There is also a registration for a Mary Carr at the same time. Could be the same person?

1857 birth? Is this a slip of the finger as she married in 1836 as a widow!

Super Moderator

No that is the date of the birth registration on FreeBMD - Salford 8d 78 Mar Qtr 1857.

Might not be any relation, but a bit of a coincidence having that name. Maybe another of the Carr family's daughter. Any idea who Rosilda married to change her name to Carr or what her maiden name was?

Can't find this Rosilda on the 1861 census, nearest I have found is a Rose H Carr.

I see, yes probably just a coincidence. I've never come across the name 'Rosilda' before and wonder if it is Welsh .......... or Irish.

I haven't found anything useful on Rosilda: no first marriage and, therefore, no maiden name.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    There is a birth record for a Rosilda Carr in 1857 - Salford. There is also a registration for a Mary Carr at the same time. Could be the same person?

GRO website shows mother's name HARRISON for both. Twins?

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a tree on Ancestry which has Rosilda/Hilday with a maiden name Harrison. Husband Nicholas Carr. Both born Cumberland.

Tree has Nicholas dying in Manchester in 1836.

They don’t have this verified and I can’t see a marraige.

Well, that looks promising and not something that had come up in my 'Hints' on Ancestry. I'll see if I can find it.

The 1841 census shows that both Ellis and Rosilda were not born in Lancashire. Also listed is a Thomas Carr age 20 born in Lancashire.
    From familysearch.org - A Thomas Harrison was christened 24 June 1821 at Dacre,Cumberland. Mother Rosilda Harrison, no father named.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you. The plot is thickening!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast