Thread: Wemyss family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wemyss family

I seem to have hit a brick wall whilst searching for my 2nd great grandfather James Wemyss born 1801. I can't find any birth, marriage nor death records for him although he does appear on 1841census with his wife and family in Glasgow. Has anyone else experienced missing records or maybe I'm on the wrong track. His wife and family are recorded on the 1851 census in Galashiels, I'm guessing he had died or maybe living at another address. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Growing old Disgracefully

Bit more info needed if you have it where was he born, wife's name any childrens names you have Please Please we are on a roll today and I've got school run in a mim xxx

Birth,marriage and death records didn't start in Scotland until 1855. Before that, you have to rely on other sources such as Church records, burials, etc. I have put a collection of messages about sources at the top of the General Scottish Forum HERE.

The census registered everyone living at a particular address on census night. If someone was away from home for some reason, they would be recorded wherever they slept that night.

As Sandyhall says, names and dates help us to help you. Also, if known, occupations.

Is he the James Wemyss aged 40, carter, with wife Mary & 5 children in the 1841?

What appears to be the family on the 1851, or at least Mary & younger 4 kids) are listed in parish of Melrose, Town of Galashiels (which is odd, they are different places). For unknown reasons, Ancestry have them transcribed as Wangelz. However, Anc only has their transcription and the only way to see the actual census page to see whether Mary is listed as wife or widow. You can get that for a small charge from Scotlands People. (see the sites I mentioned above.) Mary is also alone in the 1861, with just her youngest 2 kids.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, you have the correct James Wemyss. I'll get a copy of the 1851 census from Scotland's People. I'll also look at those other sites you've mentioned. I visited the Borders Family History Society in Galashiels recently, they couldn't give me any more info than I already had and neither did they mention those other sites you've given me, it would have been a wasted journey (140 mile round trip)but I did locate the graves and headstones of his daughter Mary and her family. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I uncover anything new.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have very little info on James Wemyss, only what the 1841 census tells me. Born in Glasgow, married to Mary and had 5 children, Sophia, James, Mary, Christina and Andrew (my Great grandfather). Any help would be appreciated, I been searching for him for ages. I thought the DNA test might throw up a clue but nothing's nag as yet.

Famous for offering help & advice

A full transcription of the 1851 is online, and Mary is listed as a widow.

5 Stirling Street, Galashiels (Town), Melrose (Parish) Roxburghshire
    Mary Wemyss Head Widow 48 b Sutherland, Dornoch
    Thomas Wemyss Son 20 Hand Loom Weaver-Woollen (App.)b Lanark,Glasgow
    Mary Wemyss Daughter 18 Reeler Woollen Yarn b Lanark,Glasgow
    Christina Wemyss Daughter 14 Winder Woollen Yarn, b Lanark,Glasgow
    Andrew Wemyss Son 12 Woolspinner's Assistant b Lanark, Glasgow