Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

28th Feb 1880, Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser.
    Frederick Titlow 15 along with some other boys all from Chatham were charged with stealing 7s from a shop's till. There was a previous conviction against Titlow. Committed to Maidstone for three months and afterwards to go to a Reformatory for three years.

Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser 10 February 1898
    Dartford Police Court
    Publican convicted of drunkenness, Frederick Titlow landlord of the Hull Trader Greenhithe summoned fpr being drunk and disorderly, also summoned for allowing his dog to stray unmuzzled, found guilty and fined 20s
    Alma

In #40 Emily Aaron Birth Certificate had the MMN as Godfrey whereas Titlow is used for two of the earlier children. Have I read this right? Why would Eliza use two different names?
    Hi Phillip, Yes, Emily Aaron has MMN Godfrey, Godfrey is the surname of Eliza Hedge's step-father. Why Eliza gave the surname Godfrey is a mystery unless she was asked by the registrar 'what's the name of your father?' in which case she most likely would give her step-father's name as she seems to have been born illegitimately and probably didn't know her natural father's name, that's the only reason I can think of.

Eliza Hedge's married name is Titlow, so Thomas and William (sons of Isaac Aarons) have correctly been registered with the surname TITLOW and MMN HEDGES.
    Alma

Many thanks Alma for the new information. In #48 Thomas Titlow dies in 1870 and Thomas Aaron aka Allen is born 1871. Have I got this right? Based on this data either Elizabeth left Frederick or vice versa and a son Thomas was born to Isaac/Elizabeth. Is that your understanding?

Nb The only death I can see for an Isaac Allen is Dec qtr 1891 age 49 Bethnal Green 1c 212 but Isaac Aaron aka Allen was born circa 1825. There is no comparable Isaac Aaron Death record for the period 1881-1891- Elizabeth was a widow by 1891.
    I can't see a Death record for Elizabeth aka Eliza Allen born circa 1845 but may have overlooked it.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1698-1930

Chas Titlow age 9 admitted 17th July 1871; Frederick Titlow age 5 admitted 3rd May 1870, both deserted by father.
    Lawful children of Eliza and Frederick Titlow, married at the register office ???????? rd, 4th July 1860, certificate burnt.

It appears mother was taken in 1871 from the ????????? in custody of the Police.
    Alma

England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935
    26th Nov 1904, Maidstone Kent.
    Frederick Howes Titlow, age 65, tailor. Feloniously shooting at and wounding Stewart Stanley Clegg, with intent to do him grievous bodily harm at Chatham on 8th Aug 1904. Guilty of unlawful wounding. Recognizances in £10 to hear judgement if called upon.

Burial
    Frederick Howes Titlow, 75, tailor, buried 14th Oct 1914 at Chatham, Maidstone Road & Palmerston Road Cemetery
    Alma

Many thanks Alma for the new information. In #48 Thomas Titlow dies in 1870 and Thomas Aaron aka Allen is born 1871. Have I got this right? Based on this data either Elizabeth left Frederick or vice versa and a son Thomas was born to Isaac/Elizabeth. Is that your understanding?
    Yes, Phillip, that's how I see it.

ETA: The family break-up supported by #54?
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    I can't see a Death record for Elizabeth aka Eliza Allen born circa 1845 but may have overlooked it.
    Could this be her death? Her lawful name would have been Titlow.

Eliza Titlow age 77, 4th qrt 1921, Mile End Old Town, 1c 377.

The 1911 census for Elizabeth Allen at #25 is in the Mile End Old Town registration district.
    Alma

Thank you Alma for all your help.
    It looks like Eliza.
    I noted also on the Settlement Order- Grandmother Maria Titlow 31 Mansfield Road Kingsland Road. A brief look on Ancestry.Co family trees suggests she is Clara Maria Smith nee Titlow 1842-1892. The tree has her parents as Maria Howes and Thomas Titlow.
    The settlement order also gave the address of Frederick Howes Titlow 5 Pembroke Place New Road Chatham Kent-works at ?Ernest Cobb, Tailor Rochester Kent.

Frederick J Titlow the son address 11 Brights Place Luton Road Chatham Kent.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default MARIA TITLOW

The following 1861 Census record address matches that of the Settlement Order relating to Frederick Howes Titlow and his two sons as previously posted.

(Copyright TNA) RG9 247 3 12
    31 Mansfield Street Shoreditch Middx
    Thomas TITLOW HM 49 Tailor b Lowestoft Suffolk
    MARIA wife 43 Tailoress b Ipswich Suffolk
    Clara M dau u 18 Hair brush maker b London Middx
    Rosa Jane dau u 15 " " " "
    Charles Alf son 13 Scholar " "
    Emma dau 11 Scholar " "
    William H son 10 Scholar "
    Ellen dau 6 Scholar " "
    Jane dau 4 " "
    +1 Lodger +1 Boarder