Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hi Alma
    I greatly appreciate your time and effort. Like you I can't locate them using all the different options. My thinking is were they later split up and took a different name/names. Were they placed in institutions- for example 2 of my relatives were placed in the Norwood Orphanage which was a Jewish institution but they had the family name.
    This still doesn't account for Isaac or Eliza whereabouts unless for Isaac total name changes including first name and surname. There are plenty of cases of that happening among the records and in my own lines- Napthali Asher Hart became Asher and then Arthur Robert Hart- changed his religion and joined the army.

More to consider.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

The current supposition is that Isaac Aaron/Elizabeth unknown changed their names post 1881 which is why they and their children cannot be located. In addition, based purely on the Isaac Aaron name remaining unchanged there are very few names on Free BMD under the Death search index.
    These names are:
    Dec qtr 1865 Isaac William AaronWhitechapel 1c 272
    Dec qtr 1867 Isaac Aaron age 0 Downham 4b 243
    June qtr 1881 Isaac Lewis Aaron age 0 Aston 6d 147
    June qtr 1891 Isaac Aaron Age 72 Birmingham 6d 9
    March qtr 1893 Isaac Aaron age 42 Prestwich 8d 279
    June qtr 1898 Isaac Aaron age 82 Dartford 2a 278
    Sept qtr 1918 Isaac Aaron age 35 Prestwich 8d 312
    Isaac Aaron qtr Dec 1980 born 27 Oct 1907 Leeds 5 370

Nb These are all the Isaac Aaron Death Index records on Free BMD and the only tentative one post 1881 Census when Isaac Aaron was still alive is that of Isaac Aaron 1898 age 82. This gives a dob 1816 whereas Isaac Aaron in 1881 and 1851 has a dob range 1825-29.

A similar review of Elizabeth Aaron Death index gives no comparable dob.

Hi Alma
    I have found the Isaac Aaron family. I remembered that Isaac Aaron's brother had changed his surname to ALLEN. As a long shot I tried the same surname and found Elizabeth in the 1891 Census with William, Emily and Thomas.

1891 Census (Copyright TNA)
    RG12 266 208 28
    20 ? Bethnal Green
    Elizabeth ALLEN H Widow 47 Flower Art? Maker b LUTON BEDS
    William Allen son s 17 Hawker coster b St George in the East
    Emily daughter 14 ? b Stepney
    Thomas son s 20 News vendor coster b Bethnal Green

I will now look further but the 1891 census confirms Isaac was dead by 1891.

This looks like the Marriage of Emily.
    Christ Church Stepney
    Nov 29 1909
    James Thompson 36 Bachelor Groom 6 Horsley Buildings father Henry Thompson Moulder
    Emily ALLEN 32 Spinster 6 Horsley Buildings father ISAAC ALLEN Deceased TAILOR
    Witnesses- William Allen; Elizabeth Allen

I will look further under ALLEN

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Alma
    I have found the Isaac Aaron family. I remembered that Isaac Aaron's brother had changed his surname to ALLEN. As a long shot I tried the same surname and found Elizabeth in the 1891 Census with William, Emily and Thomas.

1891 Census (Copyright TNA)
    RG12 266 208 28
    20 ? Bethnal Green
    Elizabeth ALLEN H Widow 47 Flower Art? Maker b LUTON BEDS
    William Allen son s 17 Hawker coster b St George in the East
    Emily daughter 14 ? b Stepney
    Thomas son s 20 News vendor coster b Bethnal Green

I will now look further but the 1891 census confirms Isaac was dead by 1891.

This looks like the Marriage of Emily.
    Christ Church Stepney
    Nov 29 1909
    James Thompson 36 Bachelor Groom 6 Horsley Buildings father Henry Thompson Moulder
    Emily ALLEN 32 Spinster 6 Horsley Buildings father ISAAC ALLEN Deceased TAILOR
    Witnesses- William Allen; Elizabeth Allen

I will look further under ALLEN
    That's great, Phillip, well done.

I think the street name is Summerford St.
    Alma

In 1911, they are at 6, Horsley Buildings, Adelina Grove, Stepney. RG14; Piece: 1585; ED: 14.

Elizabeth Allen widower, 67yrs, married 47yrs, children born alive 9, children still living 3. Luton Beds
    Thomas Allen son, 40yrs, pedlar, London St George
    William Allen son, 37yrs, married 2yrs, 2 children born alive, 2 children still living, photographer, London St George
    Elizabeth Allen dau in law, 33yrs, Bethnal Green
    Emily Thompson dau, 34yrs, married 1yr, no children. charwoman, London Shadwell,

I wonder where William and Elizabeth's children are?

William married 5th July 1909 at Christ Church, Tower Hamlets.
    William Allen age 34, bachelor, pedlar, 6, Horsley Buildings, father Isaac Allen (deceased) tailor
    Elizabeth King age 31, spinster, tailoress, 6, Horsley Buildings, father Edward King bricklayer.
    Witnesses: Thomas Allen; Emily Allen.

They are all together in 1901 at 6, Horsley Buildings. RG13; Piece: 325; Folio: 46; Page: 39
    Alma

Very many thanks Alma for the census data. I noted in the 1911 census 9 children born but only 3 alive.
    The next problem I have is this- there are only 2 possible Isaac Allen Deaths between 1881-1891:
    Isaac Allen age 68 St.Thomas 5b 44 June qtr 1883
    Isaac Allen age 49 March qtr 1891 Bethnal Green 1c 212.

The Isaac Aaaron with Elizabeth and earlier with Sarah Farthing was born circa 1825-1829. This means that either none of the two Free BMD Death Index records are him or else there is an error on his dob as registered. The Bethnal Green 1891 Death appears more likely but I will need to look further.

Hi Phillip,

There's a Thomas age 1 and William Allen age 2 patients in "Metropolitan Asylum Board's, North Western Hospital, Lawn Road, Hampstead N W"

Corresponding births:
    ALLEN, THOMAS ALBERT, MMN KING
    GRO Reference: 1910 D Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 352
    ALLEN, WILLIAM, MMN KING
    GRO Reference: 1909 D Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 371
    Alma

Hi Alma
    As always you are proving a great help with the searches. I can't see a marriage of George Allen. You have him in the 1911 census but gave no details and I haven't as yet looked in detail for him nor his mother's death.

Thank you for all your continuing help.

I can't see a marriage of George Allen. You have him in the 1911 census but gave no details and I haven't as yet looked in detail for him
    Hi Phillip, sorry I seem to have confused you with the way in which I laid out my post. There wasn't a George in the 1911 census 'George' was part of the address where William said he was born.

William Allen son, 37yrs, married 2yrs, 2 children born alive, 2 children still living, photographer.
    born, London St George

As George doesn't appear on the 1901 or 1911 census and from memory he isn't on the 1891 either, I assume he's one of Elizabeth's children who had died.
    Alma

Hi Alma
    Thank you for all your help.
    This appears to be the William Aaron aka Allen family in the 1939 Register (Copyright TNA)
    William's baptism gave his dob as 27 Feb 1874. The 1939 Register has a dob 17 Feb 1874 but it appears to be the same person as per the earlier census where he is a photographer.
    81 Stratton Drive Barking Essex
    William Allen Married dob 17 Feb 1874 77 Photographer
    Elizabeth Allen 6 Nov 1877 unpaid domestic duties
    William Ju? Allen s 3 Oct 1909 Military musical instrument maker
    Thomas H Allen 8 Sept 1910 single Bakers roundsman
    Charles E Allen s 10 March 1912 Bakers roundsman
    Elizabeth Jur?? Allen s 25 April 1915 Dressmaker
    Lesie Allen s 1 Sept 1916 butchers shop assistant
    Elsie Allen (married name CAPON Mrried 23.7. 1945) born 3 Nov 1917 dressmaker
    Sydney J Allen s 12 May 1920 Oil Merchant Labourer

GRO Marriage Index Elsie Allen -William J CAPON July qtr 1945 Ilford Essex 4a 1203

GRO Death Index Elsie Capon age 32 b abt 1918 July qtr Ilford 1950 Essex 5a 297

I will post further as data emerges.

Nb There is a newspaper article for Isaac Allen who had a fractured skull from being thrown from a cart. Croydon Guardian and Surrey County Gazette Sat 14 Dec 1889. Whether or not this refers to Isaac Aaron aka Isaac Allen is not known.

The issue of not being able to clearly identify Isaac Allen or Isaac Aaron pre 1891 census when his wife Elizabeth is a widow maybe for two reasons- 1 the death was not registered 2 Isaac was not using his first name- at least one of his brothers had done the same if this Isaac is Isaac Aaron son of Aaron Aarons/Catherine Crawcour.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast