Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Separating a surplus of James Walkers

Hi,
    I have just joined this forum, having previously been working (mostly online) to trace my family back.

I have traced some lines quite a long way back - mid 18th century or earlier in some cases, but my own name family (Walker) is rather too common...

I have got as far back as my 4 x great grandfather, James Walker, who lived in Whitechapel in the early 1800s. Gettting that far took quite a bit of time and a lot of dead leads. However, as he was a watch glass maker, and I have his address, and he married a Sarah, I thought I would be in pretty good shape, despite the common surname.

It turns out that there were many James Walkers, who generally fell for people called Sarah. In fact, there were two James Walkers, married to Sarah, living round the corner from each other.

I can find several marriage/banns-reading records, but nothing that shows either age, a job or parents' names. Knowing there are several potential James Walkers, I want to see if I can get back another generation, to see if that helps.

Any help/ideas would be really appreciated!

Here's what I do know:

James Walker and Sarah, his wife, had six children between 1806 (James Arthur, my 3* Gt grandfather) and five girls, the last, Mary Ann, in 1817).

In 1806 they lived in Montague Street, Whitechapel (which is when they lived round the corner from another James and Sarah Walker, in Well Street).

By 1808, they lived at 20 Little Prescott St, where he ran the watch glass making business. Thanks to London Metropolitan Archives, his insurance with Sun Alliance shows up between 1814 and 1826, by which time he had moved to Houndsditch.

He does not (as far as I can judge) show up on the 1841 census, though there are a few, and there were too many James Walkers who died between 1826 and 1841.

Any ideas of where else to look (or, of course, anyone else who happens to be looking at the same individual) would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Two questions:
    Have you looked for a Will?
    Did James Arthur follow him into the business?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for replying. In response...

1. I have just this minute found a record of a will, which is very interesting as it was on an index document from the London Metropolitan Archive, which, however, doesn't show up on the LMA online index... strange! However I shall go up and have a look. He did leave a will, dated January 1836, which shows he was still a watch glass maker and lived at 120 Houndsditch, so that is bullet proof and may well be the key.

His son did not follow him into the business - he was a dyer, and, sadly, died of consumption, aged 39.

I shall now contact LMA and take a look at his will, which I am guessing will have a lot of details. It is interesting that I have not found a death record yet, but I shall see what I can find and report back...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Well, that was interesting... an update (and, perhaps, light at the end)…

The generic internet search showed up a reference to a will in the Diocese of London Consistory Court (LCC)records, held by the London Metropolitan Archive (LMA). However, searching the LMA's online records showed nothing, so I called them. A very helpful man there suggested I try Ancestry, but to enter the LCC full name in the list of databases in their wills and probate section. This did turn up the record, which also showed his widow, Sarah, outlived him, and. most importantly, when he died - 15 December, 1835.

Then, I found (on Findmypast - I have both subscriptions) a burial record, which in turn gave his age and thus that we was born in 1785. At last - at least I have a data to chase back one more generation!

Lesley, thanks for the tip.

Onwards and backwards!

Robin

Glad to help.
    And that tip of using the full LMA name on Anc is worth having!