Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default PAINTERs-Father/Son-William Ball SPENCER

Seeking info on the Spencer family of famed ship portraitists, the father & son painters, of Richard Ball (sometimes erroneously listed as Bennett)Spencer & his son William Ball (again, some wrongly list Ball, as Bennett) Spencer.
    What I seek to know, are two things....1)Wish to find Richard's SPENCER line, going backwards, as far as possible. Have traced Richard's parents to that of a John Spencer, who m. an Elizabeth BALL. They m. in 1810, at St. James, Westminster, London. Had Richard Ball Spencer in 1812, b. in Stepney, London. So now w/ so many men named John Spencer-HOW On EARTH to find this John's folks? And,b) I'd like to see If any Spencers today, still bearing the Spencer surname (or was their or their mom's maiden name) come-down from this line?
    Any help or suggestions gratefully appreciated. I can do searches in exchange for any assistance given. Thank you, Sincerely, Vienna Spencer

Hi Vienna
    Just to sort out Richard and William and get some dates for to help those who may want to help you Wikipedia give the dates for both men as

Richard Ball Spencer 1812 - 1897

A son William Ball Spencer 1854-1923

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Whether it will help or not but Richard Ball Spencer on his marriage record image to Caroline Gibson says his father John Spencer has the occupation of Grocer. One of the witnesses is a Caroline Spencer but what her relationship to Richard is is of course not specified.
    There are a few trees on ancestry for this line but none have the parents for John Spencer and the Bishop's transcript of his marriage to Elizabeth Ball just has the basic information but I'll post it so others have the info
    John Spencer
    Marriage Date 15 Apr 1810
    Marriage Place St James, Piccadilly, Westminster, England
    Spouse Elizabeth Ball
    Register Type - Bishop's Transcript

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christina,

Thank you so much for all the added info. I meant to put-in dates, but got side-tracked writing the other details of my posting...sorry! Anyway, many thanks for your additions! Very useful! : )
    Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Christina,

Just had a thought...IF one "could" Find/See the Bishop's transcript of his John Spencer's marriage to Miss Ball, WHERE / HOW would one DO this, in order to learn IF the Bishop had taken-down John's Spencer parents' names? Since we know the Church, would there be any of those records still there, or were they all transcribed,put online, then locked-away or destroyed? Just wondering if anyone knows? Thanks!-Vienna

Growing old Disgracefully

At least 10 Family trees on ancestry but be carefull as some have copied from Ancestry Family Tree which have sometimes the wrong infomation in them.

John Spencer and Elizabeth Ball's marriage can be viewed on FindMyPast. It reads
    NO.118 John Spencer & Elizabeth Ball both of this Parish were married in this Church by Banns this fifteenth day of April in the year 1810
    By me Tho(?) Bracker, Curate
    This marriage was solemnized between us
    John Spencer, Elizabeth Ball (both signed their names)
    In the presence of Mary Ball, Thomas Ball

FindMyPast has the baptisms of Thomas Ball Spencer (22 Mar 1812) and Richard Ball Spencer (6 Dec 1812). They are transcriptions only - sight of the original might (no guarantee) deliver John's occupation (the new baptismal register was being introduced around this period).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    At least 10 Family trees on ancestry but be carefull as some have copied from Ancestry Family Tree which have sometimes the wrong infomation in them.
    Thanks for this warning. Alas I can't afford their membership, so can't View all the "details" for the Trees.

Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Thanks so much HELACHAU for the full transcription of Marriage record for John Spencer to
    Elizabeth Ball.....so frustrating the rec does NOT List their parents' Names!!! Grr.
    Well onward & upward! I even wrote the church to see if they have an Archivist & could find the ORIGINAL record, if still on the premises, to see IF it did list their parents. Guess not--since you viewed a scan of original, I'm guessing, at Find My Past. But, then,"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"!! : )
    Thanks again,
    Vienna

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by ViennaSpencer View Post
    Thanks for this warning. Alas I can't afford their membership, so can't View all the "details" for the Trees.

Vienna
    Try when they have a free offer you have to pay up front but you can cancel before the time is up and get your sub refunded.

this might help you I found it on another tree

Name John Smith Gender Male Birth Date 27 Dec 1790 Baptism Date 11 Jan 1791 Baptism Place Ackworth,York,England
    Father Robert Spencer
    MotherSarah
    FHL Film Number 60152
    Household Members
    Name - Robert Spencer
    Name - Sarah
    Name - John Smith
    (I'd take that is name is John Smith Spencer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast