Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Pam. You're correct of course. I will see what I can find from a couple.

Thanks Guy. That's a new one for me. I tried the site earlier and it told me that it was too busy to bother with my search. I shall go back when it's had a lie down and feels better again.

cheers
    Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Right, the table Guy referred me to gives mortality rates for males and females at different age bands at around the years I'm interested in. If I understand the arithmetic correctly they show the percentages of deaths that occurred within a specific population for different age ranges split between the sexes. The figures for infants between the ages of 0-5 years were 7.26% for boys and 6.27% for girls. If children survived for their first 5 years their mortality rate then dropped hugely until they were 40-50 year old adults when it started rising again

These figures compared the total number of people within the country as determined by the censuses with the GRO records of death. That means that every type of residential area and sanitary condition was included - the best reducing the mortality figure and the worst increasing it. What the tables do not seem to show are mortality figures for specific locations or types of location. It would almost certainly be the case that mortality in industrial areas was far higher. But even so, the tables are effectively averages of mortality in the best and worst conditions in the country so the highest mortality rate for this age group is likely to be less than 15%

My little population of 9 children with 7 deaths before the age of 5 had a mortality rate of 77%! My ancestors were obviously very careless with their offspring!
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

These reports are a wonderful read as Guy already undoubtedly knows but if you've not come across them and are interested in contemporary observations of the life and times of the Victorians here is a snippet:-

"Prices - I have frequently remarked on the intimate relation in which the prices of the principal articles of food stand to the health and wellbeing of the population, as evidenced in the returns of births, deaths and marriages. It has been shown in my Reports that the rate of marriage among the lower classes is to a large extent influenced by the price of wheat;....." (Source:Registrar General's 34th annual report 1871-1880)

Henry the night soil man meets Matilda the laundress who admits to having enough flour to make a loaf of bread "Will you marry me Matilda?" says he. "Gladly sir" says she "though last week the cost of this 'ere flour was so high I could not have fed ye". In that case I would not have married ye at that time" said Henry. And so the world turns on the prospect of a nice jam sandwich.

Famous for offering help & advice

oh well just think of poor Queen Anne (1665-1714). Including miscarriages & stillborns - 17 children, only one survived longer than a year and he died at 11.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12