Thread: 1911 census

Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1911 census

I have just looked at 1911 census on Ancestry and noticed that the address on the image has been covered with a green strip.The address can still be seen on the transcription.

When and why have they started to cover addresses?

Addresses are still open to view on FMP.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It's not been done for all because I've just checked my grandparents who were married at the time so four different addresses all of which are visible on the returns.

I’ve tried 6 different family members at separate addresses and all are covered.

This was a query on the Ancestry message boards so I tried accessing the 1911 out of curiosity and so far all my own searches have appeared covered!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    I have just looked at 1911 census on Ancestry and noticed that the address on the image has been covered with a green strip.The address can still be seen on the transcription.

When and why have they started to cover addresses?

Addresses are still open to view on FMP.
    Hi Pamela,

I've just checked a few and all had the green strip. It makes no sense as as you say the address is visible on the transcription, also I could read the address under the green strip.

Have Ancestry answered the query on their message board?
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I wonder if it's Ancestry's (extremely) misguided attempt to highlight the address, in the same way they've 'coloured in' the names, ages, etc in the top half of the schedule?
    As Alma says, in most cases you can (just about) read the address through the green highlightng, but on one of my grandfather's the address had been changed to Woburn Abbey. First time I knew Woburn Abbey was in Great Yarmouth in Norfolk. However, I've just accessed the record again and it's now shows (through the green) the correct address.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If you hover over the green strip a box pops up with the address printed.
    Alma

Thanks everyone.

Ancestry do seem to try to fix things that aren’t broken! Yet glitches on the site take months for them to respond to.

No response from Ancestry themselves.

Pam.