Thread: margaret tagg

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Question margaret tagg

Trying to find a marriage or death info for Margaret Tagg b: 3 Dec 1815 Bonhill Parish, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire to James Tagg and Jean Buchanon.

She had 3 brothers, one died young, and I have the info on the two that survived - just missing info on Margaret...

Debbie

joette

Default RE Margeret Tagg

Presume you have these from the OPR on Scotlands People site but in case you havent.
    None from Bonhill but as Abbey was just across the water could be her
    13/02/1829(maybe she was two/three before she was christened.) Margeret Taes to John Holms-FR 2743 Abbey Parish 559/00 0008.
    Margeret Tegg/ John Rodger-10/12/1843-Barony 622/00 028*(Dont Know what this denotes) but Barony is again near to Dumbartonshire.
    Margeret Twigg/John Brown -FR4974-Barony-622/00 028*12/07/1844
    Maybe she got fed up with her hubby changed her name & married somebody else all within seven months or a remarrying widow?
    Thought these names/locations might help. Have you tried 1841 Census?

joette

Default margeret tagg

Also checked IGI & Margeret Taes/John Holms appear to have had two children-Sarah 1831 & John 26th Oct. 1834.
    Margeret Tegg/John RODGER-appear to have had one Robert in Campsie Stirling on 1/5/1853.
    Hope some of this helps.

Thank you both for your hard work!

The Taggs were a very prolific bunch - although I only have 10 Margaret Taggs in my tree (so far)...

The one that married John Rodger was the daughter of James Silvester Tagg and Annie Reid.

Another who married Henry Lynn was the daughter of James Tagg and Jean Whitock Sharp.

Others were all born later in the 1800's.

The Margaret Taes and Margaret Twigg might be possibilities - I will try to check more into both.

I have no access to the 1841 census - if anyone does, could they please check for Tagg (Tegg, Taig) in Bonhill Parish, Dunbartonshire?

Debbie

Just a bit of history, to clarify:

The patriarch, John Tagg, was born in Surrey. He had 3 children by his first wife and 13 by his second. He went to Scotland for work, many of the children following as they reached an age to be employed. The second wife remained in Surrey, where she died after raising all seventeen children (she also had one from her first marriage). The children of the first wife settled mostly in Dunbartonshire and those of the second mostly around Glasgow. Many of the Dunbartonshire crowd began using the name Taig instead of Tagg. There were Taig's near Glasgow that originally came from Ireland and were no relation that I have been able to prove. Some of the children's names were occasionally mis-spelled as Tegg. Certain names recur with great frequency in the list of descendents - James, Agnes, Alexander, Annie, Charles, Elizabeth, Helen, John, Margaret, Mary, Robert, William... They also tended to be names of spouses as well, confusing the matter even further. Middle names were also re-used with the same first name with regularity among both descendents and cousins.

I have 273 Tagg/Tegg/Taig so far that I know are in the family, not including spouses or children of married female Tagg/Tegg/Taig's (with different last names). I'm a great believer in documentation, and finding documentation for all these relationships has been a genuine labor of love which I have been working on for over 30 years. And I still get confused at times...

Debbie
    Last edited by DebbieAnn; 30-10-2005 at 4:53 PM.

Just a thought - If Margaret died young in Dunbartonshire, where would she have been buried?

Debbie

John D F Brown

Thumbs up Margaret Tagg & John Rodger

I have hundreds of Tagg's in my tree. I have Margaret Tagg b.1822 & John Rodger b.1823 as having 9 children. They were married on December 29, 1843 in Tradeston, Glasgow, Scotland.
    Children:
    Anne 1844
    William 1849
    James 1851
    John 1853
    Charles 1855
    Margaret 1856
    Susan 1959
    David 1863
    Charles 1865

John

John,

Yes, I have them. I have David's middle name as Alexander. But I'm really looking for the specific Margaret that was the daughter of James and his wife Jean Buchanan, and was born in 1815. I don't know if she died young or married and had children of her own, and would like to find out.

Debbie