Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help needed with uniform

Hi,
    Please could members assist with feedback and observations on the uniform being worn in the shown picture.
    It is my grandparents with one of my uncles. I don't know which, but will have been born in 1903 or 1907.
    I am taking it that the photo was taken during WWII.
    However (!!), both my uncles emigrated to Canada. We believe in the 1930s or 1940s. So I do not discount, my uncle wearing a Canadian uniform. (Contact has since been lost with them).
    Certainly, the 2 stripes may a Corporal - please confirm. I've not see a cap like this before. It's a shame that the possible insignia on the side of the cap can't be viewed.
    I'm also researching further into my uncles, their life before emigration and required information that would enable me to request potential WW!! Service Records.
    Regards
    Trevor

???????????? UPDATED. INSERT IMAGE DIDN'T WORK. FIGURING OUT!!! ?????????????
    Last edited by poptr01; 12-01-2020 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Image not visible

Hi members, from a frustrated colleague.
    I have been unable to work out how to insert a small (118kb) jpg image from my laptop C drive into my post above.
    HELP!! Can anyone advise me?
    I'm sure with the growing number of views of the post there may well be interest in providing feedback on the uniform!
    Regards
    Trevor

Hi Trevor
    Since the site was upgraded the way we have to insert images has changed. You now need to upload your photo to a free storage site with a URL address. This link gives some ideas and if you scroll down Tinypic appears the simplest. (I have not used it) https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-...-sites-3486329
    Make sure you are in the Go Advanced reply on here so you get the row of options along the top of the reply box. Click on the picture frame which is 3rd to the right of the world Globe and take it from there.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default Image storage and load

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Trevor
    Since the site was upgraded the way we have to insert images has changed. You now need to upload your photo to a free storage site with a URL address. This link gives some ideas and if you scroll down Tinypic appears the simplest. (I have not used it) https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-...-sites-3486329
    Make sure you are in the Go Advanced reply on here so you get the row of options along the top of the reply box. Click on the picture frame which is 3rd to the right of the world Globe and take it from there.
    Christina
    Hi Christina,
    Many thanks for the advice. I have reviewed the Free Image Hosting Sites. Unfortunately, Tinypic is no longer available. I have used PostImage. Will update the post.
    Regards
    Trevor

Default Uniform: NOW WITH IMAGE INCLUDED

Hi all,

As added information, if useful, both uncles would have been brought up in Hornsey, North London.

The Image is:

Regards
    Trevor

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    Have you looked for either of their names on the 1939 register?
    Finding them would show that they were still here at the outbreak.

Hi, thank you for the advice.
    With some help have established that neither of my uncles are on the 1939 Register at their parent's address. One I can't get a name match at all. The other has a match in Guildford that looks interesting to follow up.
    I can now add that my grandfather passed away 1944. So the photo (obviously!!) predates his death. Have ordered the death certificate from GRO to see who registered it.
    An initial military search results no matches on either names.
    Regards
    Trevor

Reputation beyond repute

Have ordered the death certificate from GRO to see who registered it.
    A copy of the will may be quite informative.
    Order here - https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The cap is like this one - https://www.captainjacksmilitaria.co...ish-raf-helmet Pity the badge is not visible, that would really help.
    Yes he was a Corporal.
    As for service records, you wont find much if anything online, still with MOD.
    You can apply for them.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi Robert
    Many thanks.
    Info re MoD noted.
    Regards
    Trevor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast