Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Wright

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default James Wright

Hi
    I really need some help please i've been looking for a while but no luck!
    I know Charles Albert Edward Wright was born 1902 St Olave Bermondsey, is correct, his Mothers maiden name was Emma Pettett (Pittit) she married a James Wright 19 feb 1893 St john Walworth, Father Frederick James Wright. when Charles married in 1924 Bermondsey to Ellen Williams his Father names was down as James Thomas Wright Printer. what Im struggling with is finding the birth of James Thomas 1871 was following a family Frederick James and Elizabeth Hassall but cannot connect James Thomas to them, this is stopping me finding the correct Frederick James Wright. hoping someone can shed some light on this for me
    Kind regards
    Lizziejane

Super Moderator

1911 census shows

2 Wilderness Street, Weston Street, Bermondsey

Signed name is James Thomas Lincoln Wright.

James Wright born abt 1871 London Printer's Assistant
    Emma wife born abt 1874
    James, son b. abt 1894 - Porter Warehouse
    Edith Daughter, b abt 1896
    William, b abt 1898
    Nellie b abt 1900
    Charles b abt 1903
    George b abt 1905
    Florence b abt 1908
    Elsie b abt 1909
    Emma Pettet - mother in law b. abt 1842 Cambridge
    William Pettet b abt 1882 London
    Charles Pettet b abt 1885 London

So this is definitely the family in 1911.

There is a birth registration for James Thomas L Wright in St Saviour, March Qtr. 1871

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Come on, Lizziejane, you've been a BG member long enough to know that census information can be enormous help, so please provide it instead of making us waste time having to look for it first.

1911 census. Father James, printer's assistant, aged 40, born Surrey, London.
    Census reference RG14/1871 SN97
    (suemalings has kindly typed out all the family details in post #2.)

1901 census, Father James, printer's assistant, aged 30, born Lambeth
    Census reference RG13/388 folio 181 page 20

Can't easily locate him in 1891, and haven't looked for him in 1881.

However, based on Sue's info about that birth registration I looked for a James in 1871 and found
    Charles Wright, head, 32, printer's pressman, Southwark
    Eliza, wife, 32, Deptford
    Hanna?, daur, 4, Lambeth
    Annie,daur, 2, Lambeth
    James, son, 1 month, Southwark
    Census reference RG10/607 folio 18 page 29

Mother's maiden name for that James Thomas Lincoln Wright birth registration is Steer, and there are birth registrations for Hannah Eliza Wright in 1866 and Annie Naomi Wright 1869, both in Lambeth registration district and both MMN's Steer.

It's interesting that this head of household is a Charles, same as yours, and he's also connected with the printing profession, same as your Charles' father.
    What occupation is given for James' father when James marries Emma Pettit?
    And what name(s) and occupation is given for Emma's father?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Emma Pettett (Pittit) she married a James Wright 19 feb 1893 St john Walworth, Father Frederick James Wright.
    Lizziejane, father's middle name on the marriage certificate doesn't look like JAMES to me. Where did you get James as a middle name from? Unfortunately, I cannot make out the middle name, it seems to end in net though the writing is difficult to decipher.
    Alma

WOW that was a slap on the wrist!
    ok I also found him in 1911 and 1901 same address census but cannot find him on the 1891 or 1881 but on his marriage 19 Feb 1893 RN468 film 291748 walworth, to Emma Pettett it has his father down as Frederick James Wright not sure where Charles comes into it, so that's whom I'm trying to find a birth with his Father as Frederick James Wright, once again thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane;677043 on his marriage 19 Feb 1893 [B
    RN468 film 291748[/B] walworth, to Emma Pettett it has his father down as Frederick James Wright
    That reference seems to be a film number from England Select Marriages and if so it is a transcription. The ORIGINAL certificate does not give JAMES as the middle name (see #4)

ETA: family search's transcription has Frederick's middle name as GARNET I'm not sure that is right either but in my opinion the name does seem to end NET.
    Alma

Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Thank you for your help
    You're welcome, Lizzie.

Do you have access to Ancestry, if so have you seen the original marriage cert from the parish register? I'm interested to know how you interpret Frederick's middle name.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

There are suggestions on Ancestry that his father was Charles Austin Wright, who possibly turns up in Australia in a lunatic asylum in Victoria. The Australian newspapers (1896) say he was a new arrival, suffering from religious mania, and describe him as an 'elderly man'

A brother is Charles Frederick Dennett Wright – could that be the name on the certificate (minus the Charles)

WRIGHT, CHARLES FREDERICK DENNETT mmn STEER
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 864

There is also an admission for him to Rolls Road School, Southwark in 1882. Father Charles, 14 Rivet Street

It looks like he was baptised in 1886 along with Katharine (Catherine) Harriet Jane (b1875) and Elizabeth Eleanor (b1881). Parents are Charles Austin & Eliza Wright. I initially read it that Charles was a printer & deceased, but perhaps it was Eliza that had died ??

At 14 Rivet Street in 1881:
    Charles A Wright 41 Railway Porter b Southwark
    Hannah E Wright 41 Brighton, Sussex
    Eliza Wright 14 b Lambeth
    James TL Wright 9 b Southwark <<<
    Caroline HJ Wright 6 b Southwark (presumably this should be Catherine)
    Charles FD Wright 3 b Camberwell <<<

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    There are suggestions on Ancestry that his father was Charles Austin Wright, who possibly turns up in Australia in a lunatic asylum in Victoria. The Australian newspapers (1896) say he was a new arrival, suffering from religious mania, and describe him as an 'elderly man'

A brother is Charles Frederick Dennett Wright – could that be the name on the certificate (minus the Charles)

WRIGHT, CHARLES FREDERICK DENNETT mmn STEER
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 864

There is also an admission for him to Rolls Road School, Southwark in 1882. Father Charles, 14 Rivet Street

It looks like he was baptised in 1886 along with Katharine (Catherine) Harriet Jane (b1875) and Elizabeth Eleanor (b1881). Parents are Charles Austin & Eliza Wright. I initially read it that Charles was a printer & deceased, but perhaps it was Eliza that had died ??

At 14 Rivet Street in 1881:
    Charles A Wright 41 Railway Porter b Southwark
    Hannah E Wright 41 Brighton, Sussex
    Eliza Wright 14 b Lambeth
    James TL Wright 9 b Southwark <<<
    Caroline HJ Wright 6 b Southwark (presumably this should be Catherine)
    Charles FD Wright 3 b Camberwell <<<
    A good find there. Jomot1, in addition to the Charles Frederick Dennett Wright birth registration.
    That MMN matches up with the ones I found in post #3. I thought I'd (unsuccessfully) checked for a marriage between a Charles Wright and Eliza Steer but I obviously hadn't gone back quite far enough. because just now I've easily found Charles Austen (sic - clearly signed in church register) Wright marrying Eliza Steer, September quarter 1859 Lambeth registration district.
    PR image on Ancestry. I did have a slight fit when I saw 'Canterbury' as place of residence at time of marriage but then managed to notice that it was followed by the word 'Place'.

I'd bet odds on the middle name on that marriage certificate being Dennett/Denett/Dennet.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast