Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Wright

The asylum records in Australia don't give an age (or I've missed it) but do confirm him as a printer, so it certainly looks like it could be him, but if it is then how, when & why he went there is still unknown.
    I've just taken a look at the asylum record and it states his age as 57 which is right for 'our' Charles. However, it says his nearest relative is his daughter Charlotte Dalton followed by a word in brackets which I can't make out. Other relevant details widowed, religion baptist. If it's our man who is Charlotte?
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi
    I am so confused! So the information I found on Ancestry re James marriage to Emma Pettett 19 Feb 1893 stating his father was Frederick James Wright is incorrect? I'm going to print off all the replays and try and make sense of it I must admit I'm totally impressed how you find all this information out one again thank you
    Lj

Famous for offering help & advice

The transcription is wrong. The image is available - took me a while to find as its been wrongly transcribed too. Search as James KNIGHT and Emma PETERS & you'll find it!

Or to find it by record set:
    London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932 > Southwark > St John the Evangelist, Walworth > 1889-1893 > image 496

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Hi
    I am so confused! So the information I found on Ancestry re James marriage to Emma Pettett 19 Feb 1893 stating his father was Frederick James Wright is incorrect? I'm going to print off all the replays and try and make sense of it I must admit I'm totally impressed how you find all this information out one again thank you
    Lj
    Yes, that is incorrect. And this is the reason why. (From post #6)

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    That reference seems to be a film number from England Select Marriages and if so it is a transcription. The ORIGINAL certificate does not give JAMES as the middle name (see #4)
    Transcriptions are always prone to error, but no way does that middle name look like James on the entry in the parish register, so IMO the transcriber didn't put even the tiniest bit of effort into that transcription.

Alma then went on to say
    ETA: family search's transcription has Frederick's middle name as GARNET I'm not sure that is right either but in my opinion the name does seem to end NET.
    Jomot1 solved the riddle of the middle name when she found (post #9)

A brother is Charles Frederick Dennett Wright – could that be the name on the certificate (minus the Charles)

WRIGHT, CHARLES FREDERICK DENNETT mmn STEER
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 864
    Jomot1 also posted in #9 the same family (plus extra children) in the 1881 census that I'd found in the 1871 census. (see post #3)

So James Thomas Lincoln Wright born 1871 is the son of Charles Austen Wright who was born 1839.

Transcription errors are the reason why it is vital to always look at the original image if at all possible. So have you seen the entry in the marriage PR, which is available on Ancestry?
    You need the All London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932 dataset.
    Search for James Knight, marrying Emma, on 19 Feb 1893. (Just found out why I could only find this marriage originally by browsing through the register.) I will admit that the vicar has written the surname so badly that it really does look like Knight, and the only reason you can tell that it isn't is by looking at James' signature which is a very clearly-written Wright. Ancestry have done a little better with the indexing of James' father middle name getting as far as Annet before again making the surname Knight. They have also indexed/transcribed Emma's surname as Peters.
    The correct name of the church is St John the Evangelist, Walworth.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I've just taken a look at the asylum record and it states his age as 57 which is right for 'our' Charles. However, it says his nearest relative is his daughter Charlotte Dalton followed by a word in brackets which I can't make out. Other relevant details widowed, religion baptist. If it's our man who is Charlotte?
    The death indexes for Victoria show her as Eliza Charlotte Nelson Dalton (shortened to Eliza Chtte Nelson Dalton)died 1917, Melbourne East, Mother's maiden name Eliza Steer, Father Chas Austin Wright. Died aged 58.

There is a death notice for her on Trove, 2 Jul 1917:
    DALTON - On 29th June, at her residence at 329 Sydney Road, Brunswick, Eliza Charlotte Nelson the dearly beloved wife of Charles Dalton, loving mother of Albert and Arnold (on active service), and of Gordon, Norman & Phyllis, aged 58 years.

The closest seems to be Eleanor Charlotte Wright born 1860. Two other Wright/Steer children were given Nelson as a middle name, but they were boys - John Nelson Wright (1862) and William Nelson Wright (1864)

ADDED: Victoria marriage index - 1881 Eliza Charl[otte] Nelson Wright & Charles Dalton
    Last edited by Jomot1; 11-01-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added info

Eleanor Charlotte was baptised in 1864 as Elinor Charlotte Nelson Wright (born 1 Dec 1859), so I think its safe to say that she is the same person as Eliza Charlotte Nelson Wright/Dalton.

Baptised at the same time was William Nelson Wright, born 27 May 1864. He died in 1867, aged 3.

Super Moderator

Lissiejane - Going back to your first post, the only way you will find the father is to obtain a birth certificate (then of course the name of the father may not be on the certificate or may not be the actual father anyway). It would seem that the 1911 census for James Thomas Lincoln Wright is the correct person and his birth registration is on FreeBMD for 1871.

Dundee10

This is Charles Austin WRIGHT and family in Camberwell in 1881. James is actually 'James T.L.' on the original and 'Caroline H.J.' was registered as 'Catherine Harriett Jane'. Charles is now a Railway Porter.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q277-WS79

Piece: 700; Folio: 83; Page: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    This is Charles Austin WRIGHT and family in Camberwell in 1881. James is actually 'James T.L.' on the original and 'Caroline H.J.' was registered as 'Catherine Harriett Jane'. Charles is now a Railway Porter.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q277-WS79

Piece: 700; Folio: 83; Page: 28
    This information was already given in post #9

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wow thanks I've been looking all day at all your messages and trying to get my head round it all, some of the thing I haven't been able to find is first a Baptism for James found most of the other children, also cannot locate the information from Australia not really sure how you do that! Once again thanks so much for your patience
    Lj

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast